• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Still can't on which RAM

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cypher_138

Here's the three choices I' am grid locked between purchasing:
OCZ Gold 4000
Geil Golden Dragon 4000
Geil 4200
The only con to the OCZ is the cost. I have a 2.8C chip that I'll water cool the CPU and NB on. I'm not sure what it'll max out at because I'm on stock now so I have'nt pushed it. I can't seem to find out if the Geil is double sided. I assume the 512 is but I'm not certain. I'd be happy with 250 or more on this stable with all the goodies on. Do you think the Geil can do this? If so I'd save like a hundred dollars and have good RAM.

This is just FYI...

I had placed an order with Newegg for the PC4000 Golden Dragon stuff, because I thought it had 3.5ns memory, but it doesn't (so I cancelled it). It's 4.5ns memory just like the PC3700 Golden Dragon. - I got that right from Geil's website so I'm sure they are posting correct info.
Only the Geil Ultra Platinum PC4000 has the 3.5ns memory. The PC4200 Ultra Platinum uses the same 3.5ns memory, but with more relaxed timings..

I bought the Geil Ultra Platinum PC4000 because of two things.

1. 3.5ns memory
2. Cost

If it works as advertised, I'll be very pleased.. If not, I'll probably return it and wait for the Winbond BH-4's to be released like I had initially planned to do - but I dunno when it will be released
:(

If cost is not a factor i would go with OCZ PC4000.
BUt you cannot underestimate the overclocking ability of the Geil Golden Dragon Series. It is very good ram.
I cannot judge the regular Geil because i never used it before.

nycundaground said:
If cost is not a factor i would go with OCZ PC4000.
BUt you cannot underestimate the overclocking ability of the Geil Golden Dragon Series. It is very good ram.
I cannot judge the regular Geil because i never used it before.
We have very similar set up minus the prommy. I'm seriously considering the GD myself. I heard if I do go with Geil thats the route to take.

If you can wait until the end of next week, I'll have some results for the Geil PC4000 Ultra Platinum stuff they just released.

Should be here by Tuesday or Wednesday, and I should have it tested out in a night or so.

Thanks Matt. If the 256 OCZ4KG are double sided modules I'm leaning towards them. I still can't decide, so I'm looking forward to your results too.:D

Well they're not double sided. $480 for RAM=9800Pro 256
That's almost .50 a gig. That stuff better run like gold at those rates.

Back