• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need Help - w/CPU upgrade (Newby)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Raidore

I put a Athlon t'Bird 1.2 w/266FSB in my system and it is only running at 900 Mhz. I have it installed in a Asus A7V133. Do I need to adjust the CPU clock Multiplier and other items in CMOS?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thats weird....
I am just guessing here, but just to make sure you didnt get a bootleg chip or something, take off the HSF, and look on the chip, somewhere it should say 1.2 or 1200, and if it doesnt, or if it says 900 somewhere on the chip, then my friend, youve be conned, but Im sure its just a mistake and we will help you to fic it but for now just try this just to make sure.

It show 1200 then some other alpha/numeric and ends in a "C", then on the next line it starts with AXIA, I believe.

yes you have to go in to the bios and sett it to 1200

9*133 or 12*100

or more if you are going to oc it

mine 1.2ghz 266fsb started att 500 first time i booted up whit an ABIT KT7A

Raidore (Apr 06, 2001 09:03 a.m.):
It show 1200 then some other alpha/numeric and ends in a "C", then on the next line it starts with AXIA, I believe.

It's a 1.2/266 chip.

Dunno your mobo, but many boards have 100/133 jumpers to set the base FSB to133 MHz. Then you'll be at 9x133 = 1.2 GHz. That's the setup on the Iwill KK266 I recently setup for a friend. I'm sure you can then change it in the BIOS after you set the base FSB via the jumper.

DEFINATELY- it is a 1200 cpu, but do the MATH-its posting at 900 because its set to 9x100 which is 900, unlock it by connecting the L1 bridges and you can up the FSB to 9x133 which is 1197(1200) and youll be golden-then you can even OC higer, also our cpu may be unlocked just go into the BIOS and see if you can changge the mulitplier to 12 (12x100=1200) or up the FSB (9x133=1200) wither way you should get it up to 1200!! Hope this helps

Ok, if the chipset on your mobo is a KT133, it will not be able to run 133MHZ bus. The mult/fsb on your chip is this: 9X133=1200. If the board can't run 133 or is not designed to run the new "C" chips, it's goinf to run it at the only thing it can: 9X100=900. The only thing you can do is unlock it if its not already and set the mult higher(11, 11.5) and raise the fsb as much as you can with stability. The downside is that the mobo will start to max out and you may not realize the full OCing potential of the proc, nor are you going to get the performance you paid for(the lower the fsb, the slower the performance) Hope this helps alittle. Good luck.

OK, motherboard has a VIA KT133A chipset 133Mhz capable. The problem I had was when I set it to 9.0x133=1197 it shows 1200 on boot, but when it starts the rest of the boot proccess it hangs. If I change it to 12.0x100=1200 will the FSB be at 100 or 133? Also I have set the motherboard to Jumperless mode so that I can adjust the CPU Multiplier, CPU Frequency and DRAM Frequency in the bios.

Is there a 133/100 jumper on the board? I am not real familiar with the Asus but I know that some boards have this jumper on them and If you don't switch it to 133 it will do strange things. I am guessing the jumper changes the divider to 1/4 instead of 1/3. If you set it to 12X100 you will have a 100 MHZ fsb(mult=12 times fsb=100). Also make sure that when you are running the 133 bus that you have the DRAM set at host-clk, if its set to host-clk+pci at 133, the ram is trying to run at 166MHZ, ouch unless you have OCZ pc170. You may also want to try removing all of the cards except the video card. just leave the hdd, video card, cpu, and ram in there and give it a shot.

I did have the DRAM frequency set to 133 (Good or Bad). I also rembered that I had the CPU Voltage setting=Default, could this be the problem. Also does any one know what the voltage should be?

Having it at default voltage is fine until you start to really OC. Try setting the ram at a lower speed and give it a shot. What type of ram is it? Also, have you given the jumper mode a try?

The ram is from Crucial, it is Micron 256 Meg PC133 CAS2. I have not yet tried jumpered mode, but will have to give it a try.

Back