• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How do P4 Celerons handle high vcores?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

[EXC]DDan

Registered
I was wondering if P4 Celerons are just as much bothered by a (somewhat) high vcore (over 1.65V) as the P4's are when it comes to SNDS? Haven't heard of any cellies die because of this, but I guess that's because no one wants to buy them anyway because of their bad performance. Maybe the real question is, is it the P4's cache that doesn't like the high vcores?

here is a question why does his 633 have to run at 2.05v to be at 950 and mine is running i think 1.75v??? did things really change in steppings?

I asume yours is a cC0 stepping, mine is a cB0, which isn't such a good overclocker as the cC0 stepping is. Although these chips seem to like the high voltage, even planning on taking the bord and this chip to a friend of mine, and see what it will do with a prometeia on it :D

[Edit] Forgot to mention in my first post: I'm talking about Northwood cellies (0.13µ), so that would be 2GHz and up (not sure if there's a 1.8 and 1.9 NW cellie)

Last edited:
A Northwood core is a Northwood core, don't matter if it's the P-4 or Celeron. The cache size will not cause any difference in regard to surviving high voltage. The problem is electro-migration of the "gates" within the CPU which is increase with high voltage and to a lesser extent by high temps.

Back