• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is it normal that my unlocked tbird 900 goes up to 65C???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

blizzardsnake

Registered
i just unlocekd the blady thing but i havent overclock it yet..and i'm using asus a7v...using the asus probe, it states that my cpu is running at 65C!!!!!!! thats like way to HOT!!!
is it true..or izzit that my processor is dead defective?

Hmm my 1.2 (266) tbird on a kt7a runs at max 54c when at 100% load
It should drop when i stick a delta 60HP fan on instead of this slower delta 60MP,i am no expert but 65c sounds hot

comparing it to my t-bird 900 running at 1008 on a kt7a with a stock fan lapped and arctic silver paste.i can run games for hours and it doesnt ever reach 50c i would cheak how your fan is seatd or if you havent all ready got rid of that crappy thermal strip under your fan do so and apply thermal paste arctic silver if possible i hope this helps.

thermal take super orb
and i did applied some thermal paste on it
actually quite alot

sometimes, the seating of the heatsink creates high temp. It happened to me a couple times. The CPU temp of my 800mhz Duron, at 145x7=1015mhz, was about 56C; I reseated the heatsink and it dropped down to 38C. I am happy now with the temp. However, the Sandra 2001 reads CPU temp under prime95 as 22C, while the VIA HWM sensor read it as 42C. Which one to trust? Anyway, under the worst scenario like the VIA HWM reads, I am still in the acceptable temp range, < 50C. :) :) :)

I have a couple of ASUS boards and also deal with the inacurate readings from the probe. But, I would surely want to see why the temp is over 60C. I have two DURON 600's @ over 1.1G and have never seen the temps in the 60's.

I've read that the temp readings on the ASUS boards are reported at as much as 10C higher than actual.

I've used Global Win hsf's and have no complaints with them at all. Try a different hsf and see if your temps don't drop.

I agree with Tim - it's most likely that the hsf isn't seated level on the core. Check for gaps in the contact between the base of the orb and the cpu core. The superorb isn't a great hsf, but you ought to be able to manage temps in the mid-high 40's at best, low 50's at worst. What's your case cooling like? I think if you really want to oc that tbird you will need a new hsf - the best would be the Swiftech MC462 ( http://www.swiftnets.com/mc462.htm ), though it's expensive. Other good hsf are the Alpha PEP66 or Globalwin FOP38 (as mentioned before). You ought to be able to drop temps with the orb in the meantime, but I'd seriously consider chucking it for a better performing heatsink.

blizzardsnake (Apr 08, 2001 08:41 a.m.):
i just unlocekd the blady thing but i havent overclock it yet..and i'm using asus a7v...using the asus probe, it states that my cpu is running at 65C!!!!!!! thats like way to HOT!!!
is it true..or izzit that my processor is dead defective?

Asus Probe is a really big piece of garbage. You should uninstall it and install something good like Motherboard Monitor 5. Asus Probe has a tendancy to read about 10c higher than actualy temperature

Back