• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual Channel Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gamefoo21

Do you have to get the specified for dual channel ram an extra 40 bucks or can you just get 2 say 256 meg sticks and slap em to have em run dual channel. this is important cuz i want to save some money if possible.

all that dual channel will do is if the board has it, use 2 of the exact sam chips and it will work, it will use 1 up and 1 down, without any prob, all the "dual ddr" ram sticks are simply 2 of the exact same sticks..

so basically if i get two samsung pc 3200 sticks and slap it in it will work dual channel and i won't have to pay the extra 40 bucks for ram with matching codes?

you are more guaranteed of getting ones that will be compatible with more dual channel controllers if you buy them as matched pairs.

but

I usually just buy two of the same sticks at the same time and they are always of the same lot/spd/timings.

HyperX
Samsung
GEIL
Crucial
Mushkin

i purchased those brands in the last 3 months, and everytime I ordered 2-4 sticks of each. And every single one runs in DC mode. Just not all of them will run in certain mobo's =)

NF2's are picky. So are Intels I hear.

Back