• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Older Equipment???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Alex

Is it worth my time to even try to overclock a 266mhz K6-2 on a Tekram P5T-B4E. I would like to but am not sure what to expect. If anyone has any past history with this I would love to hear about it.

It's always worth your time to overclock it. It's the doing that's gives me my high. The resultant performance increases are nice, but the actual activity itself is more than enough reason for me to do it.

What have you got to lose? That combo may be just the opportunity that you need to save a more expensive piece of hardware down the road. I'd say go for it and use it as an inexpensive learning experience.

Since most of the cards etc. in there are probably showing their age by now, you could start accumulating the pieces that you will need for a new system later without the one time cash outlay. I believe that the K6's will also use a socket"A" heat sink, if so, buy a good one now you'll need it later. also the hard drive is likely to be an older, small and slow one, why not upgrade it now. Do the same with the video card if you have an AGP slot. Get your new CD ROM, case/ps etc, spread your spending out over a couple of months and you'll be able to get better parts than if you try to do it at one time.
Don't forget about your operating system, you may have an OEM copy of WINDOWS which you may not be able to use on another system.

Then when you're all done, restore the old systen and migrate it down through your family or give it to somebody that could get a bit more out of it.

Good Luck!

Back