Notices

Overclockers Forums > Software > Microsoft Operating Systems
Microsoft Operating Systems Microsoft Operating Systems and Applications
Forum Jump

Services or things that affect switching users in Win XP?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 08-12-03, 10:48 PM Thread Starter   #1
Yodums

Services or things that affect switching users in Win XP?

I tweaked my friend's computer and I think I may have accidently disabled a service or something along the lines of that so he can't switch users now so he has to log off etc.

Can anyone help me out?

Yodums
Yodums is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 08-12-03, 11:09 PM   #2
JigPu
Inactive Pokémon Moderator

10 Year Badge

Ummm.. Is the "Fast User Switching" service disabled? That would probably do it

Also, you could check in Control Panel -> User Accounts -> Change the way users log on or off, and look at the Fast User Switching option.

I'm not into multiple users though, so I don't know everything that could be done to disable it
JigPu

.... G.SKILL Sniper Low Voltage ............. 8 GiB ..... 1600 MHz ............ 1.25 V
.... OCZ Vertex 3 ................................. 120 GB ............. nilfs2 ..... Arch Linux
.... Kingwin LZP-550 .............................. 550 W ........ 94% Eff. ....... 80+ Plat
.... Nocuta NH-D14 ................................ 20 dB ..... 0.35 C°/W ................ 7 V

"In order to combat power supply concerns, Nvidia has declared that G80 will be the first graphics card in the world to run entirely off of the souls of dead babies. This will make running the G80 much cheaper for the average end user."
"GeForce 8 Series." Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. 7 Aug 2006, 20:59 UTC. Wikimedia Foundation, Inc. 8 Aug 2006.
JigPu is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 08-13-03, 10:26 AM Thread Starter   #3
Yodums

Hmm apprantly when he checks that box, it unchecks itself. I did tell him to set Fast User Switching to automatic but he said it can't start for some reason which is odd.

Anymore suggestions?

Lawrence: No. No, man. ****, no, man. I believe you'd get your ass kicked sayin' something like that, man.
Old 08-13-03, 10:14 PM   #4
DarkNight

Is he logged in as the admin when he tries this?
DarkNight is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 08-14-03, 07:08 AM   #5
redduc900
Super Moderator

10 Year Badge

You might also want to have him check this...Start | Run | Type services.msc and hit OK | Scroll down to "Terminal Services" and make sure it's started.

Path to executable:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs

Also, make sure the "Startup type" is set to "Manual". Under the "Log On" tab, verify that his profile is enabled: Profile 1/Enabled.

redduc900 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 08-17-03, 11:53 PM Thread Starter   #6
Yodums

Thanks for your help guys! I'll fix it for him when he gets back from vacation.

Lawrence: No. No, man. ****, no, man. I believe you'd get your ass kicked sayin' something like that, man.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Software > Microsoft Operating Systems
Microsoft Operating Systems Microsoft Operating Systems and Applications