Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Alternative Modding
Alternative Modding Custom Built Cases and Components... Modding to the Extreme
Forum Jump

What program are people using to "render"

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 08-13-03, 07:30 AM Thread Starter   #1
Wiseass

What program are people using to "render"

Just what hte title says. I see alot of "renderings" of projects that people are doing for layout, etc. What programs are they using for this? There was one I linked to in the ammo-box mod that he actually printed out templates for layout and everything.
Wiseass is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 08-13-03, 07:52 AM   #2
vonkaar

Autocad probably, although I use Visio or Lincoln Logs to make mine.

-->>Ranked #1 of all folders in the world!!<<-- named Vonkaar...
I7 920 D0 @ 4.2Ghz // MSI X58 Pro-E // Sapphire 5870 // 6x Seagates in RAID0 // Microsoft Keyboard Overclocked to 18 WPM (STOCK COOLING!)

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittamj
vonkaar is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 08-13-03, 08:29 AM   #3
SinsFeelNatural

Like he said, I have also seen pics mad in 3d studio max for projects but AutoCAD is the premier software for schematic layouts

SinsFeelNatural is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 08-13-03, 11:18 AM   #4
ziptieboy

I use a program called Autodesk Inventor. It is made by the same company that makes 3ds Max. Much like AutoCAD, but much more focused on Solid Modeling.

Scott
ziptieboy is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 08-13-03, 11:44 AM   #5
thorilan

hehe i do it all in my head including memorizing the number of centimeters distance from 1 angle to another =)

thats partialy why i have nothing to show on my beast project , because i cant just explain the stuff. that and i have some super top secret stuff i dont want copied till after i have published mine.

there is another 3d software but i cant seem to remember the name of it.
dont have all the functions of autocad but it was made for designing houses and has everything needed for computer modeling with a lot of predefined shapes that are usefull in a water cooling design system

Old 08-13-03, 12:11 PM   #6
vonkaar

I'm telling you... nothing beats Lincoln Logs, Lego's or Erector Sets for building your PC models. You can change it as you please, and if you are like me, you get to giggle each time you say "Erector Set." Bonus!

-->>Ranked #1 of all folders in the world!!<<-- named Vonkaar...
I7 920 D0 @ 4.2Ghz // MSI X58 Pro-E // Sapphire 5870 // 6x Seagates in RAID0 // Microsoft Keyboard Overclocked to 18 WPM (STOCK COOLING!)

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittamj
vonkaar is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 08-13-03, 01:06 PM   #7
Fushyuguru

I use Solidworks 2k3 for mechanical workings and or Pro E for most layouts and drawings.

Plus for being a student. I get software.
Fushyuguru is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 08-13-03, 01:53 PM   #8
macky
Macaddict

Here at work the drafters/designers use AutCAD and MicroStation, depending on their preference. I'm very partial to AutoCAD, but I'm also not a drafter/designer.

hehehe Erector Set hehehe
macky is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 08-13-03, 02:27 PM   #9
DaveSauce

Hey, I have an erector set! I played with it all the time when I was a kid...what's so fun--

ooooohhhh.....

lol, anyway, be advised that AutoCAD and other similar programs cost money. MONEY, not just money....lol. If you want a 3D rendering program, you have a few options.

You can get a program called MilkShape3D, which has a short trial and is like $50 to purchase, OR you can get the Maya Personal Learning Edition. It's a 150MB or so download, and it puts a watermark on everything you draw. It has most of the features of the regular version. For just doing mock-ups, that should be just fine.

But if you're looking for a program where you can write in dimensions and such, then neither of those programs will work for you. You can make a nice looking design, but you can't print out a blueprint or something.
DaveSauce is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 08-13-03, 02:38 PM   #10
Fushyuguru

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveSauce
Hey, I have an erector set! I played with it all the time when I was a kid...what's so fun--

ooooohhhh.....

lol, anyway, be advised that AutoCAD and other similar programs cost money. MONEY, not just money....lol. If you want a 3D rendering program, you have a few options.

You can get a program called MilkShape3D, which has a short trial and is like $50 to purchase, OR you can get the Maya Personal Learning Edition. It's a 150MB or so download, and it puts a watermark on everything you draw. It has most of the features of the regular version. For just doing mock-ups, that should be just fine.

But if you're looking for a program where you can write in dimensions and such, then neither of those programs will work for you. You can make a nice looking design, but you can't print out a blueprint or something.
Very true. Our liscence for Auto CAD Inventors series here at work was $7300 for a single computer. At school we get student licesnces of Solidworks and Pro E. Though for a full version of pro E its over $10,000, Solidworks is much more user friendly and less costly -- <$2000. These are for single liscences.

Your best bet is to see if you can get trial versions of software, or see if there is a free linux GNU software out there.
Fushyuguru is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 08-13-03, 03:29 PM   #11
SpyderMatrix

10 Year Badge

i just use photoshop for my stuff it works just as well

<-----------New Avatar for OC
F@H2 Team
Member of the 3d Mark 2001 team

My Heatware
SpyderMatrix is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 08-13-03, 03:39 PM   #12
Penguin4x4
Are you my Daddy?
♫ ♪ ♫ ♪ Senior Member ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪

Milkshape 3D, AutoCAD, or, my personal favorite, SketchUp 3D are the best 3D renderers I have seen,

OCForums Metal Club member #39

Need To Contact Me? Use E-Mail or Instant Messenger
Penguin4x4 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 08-13-03, 04:24 PM   #13
Captain Slug
Helpful Senior Member

10 Year Badge

I use milkshape because it's fast, simple, and only $20.

Old 08-14-03, 11:47 PM   #14
340Duster

I use Autodesk Inventor 6, because I learned that as well as regular AutoCAD at school and I can put them on my computer for free. I don't have the 6 grand the school pays for the education version I have. And Psst AutoCAD's 3D modeling is slow and combersome.

Zalman Reserator V2
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB
WD 320GB SATA 3.0GB/s
Custom Flamed Case
Logitech Z-5500 --Liteon 20x DVDR

If builders built buildings the way programers wrote programs, then the first woodpecker to come along would destory civilization.
340Duster is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 08-15-03, 01:29 AM   #15
notasparagus

Sketchup is really nice. At first it is really hard to understand, but once you watch the Tutorials on there website it is much clearer. Only real downside of it is it is reallly hard to do curves, but straight lines are very easy.
notasparagus is offline   QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Alternative Modding
Alternative Modding Custom Built Cases and Components... Modding to the Extreme