• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which is the best linux version for firewall?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
They all firewall equally well, the question is whether they might bring along too much excess baggage. I don't know if any of them have a gui for managing the firewall, except for firewall-specific ones like Smoothwall.

If you don't need a local gui to manage the firewall, any sort of gui at all is sort of pointless.

well, i just ment for linux to have a gui. The actuall fire wall i don't care about. I was thinking of use Redhat 9.0

Mandrake 9.0 is also pretty nice.

If you want a firewall OS, definately try smoothwall, very small DL.

The benefit of running a firewall specific box is that there are no other services running that could be broken into.

A spare P200 with 128 MB of RAM is great for firewall and routing. If you don't plan on doing a lot of translation you could probably do with less RAM. As usual more is better.

Smoothwall, is nice because it is a very secure platform with several nice features packaged. VPN, Web-Proxy, SSH maintenance, easily readable logs, IP forwarding, etc.

For doubling up on security you could (should) run a firewall on your boxen behind the primary firewall. You can never be too paranoid about security.

ahhh, thanks guys. thats what i was looking for. Im installing it on an old 300 mhz machine right now. Ill use the other 500 mhz machine for redhat 9.0 and give the mail server a try. Thanks again.

Back