• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

question about home built external hd

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rutkus

I just put together my external hard drive enclosure, i just had a question about whether or not i have to format the drive before putting it in the external enclosure, its one of those firewire/usb 2.0 combos. anyone know?

I put it all together, plugged it in, and windows xp recognizes it, however it doesn't show up as a hard drive at all, infact it doesn't show up period even though it makes those new hardware found sounds...

Has it been formatted yet? Right-Click on MY Computer and go to manage. Go to Storage/Disk Management. If it doesn't have any volumes yet, right click on it in the right hand pane and click Format. Here you can format it and give it a letter.

i formatted it, although i had to take it out of the case and put it in my computer as a slave drive then i formatted it to be a logical drive, it was brand spanking new when i bought the drive. the casing i got from dealsonic works awesome, both firewire and usb 2.0 work very well..... you learn something new every day :D

Back