• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

kernel compliation for PII/PIII

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

litghost

ok i didnt expect this machine to even boot with this configuration but it did. I already had a PIII 450 in the machine. Then I added a PII 400. AND IT BOOTED. AND INSTALLED REDHAT8 NP.
so i go to update my kernel(2.4.21-mosix patch) and i dont know what to put for cpu type, should i put it as a Pentium/P-Pro/P II/Celly or P III/Celly. it doesnt really seem to matter which i pick though. either one fail when i run. they always die on bringing up my RAID configure(which is also fubared, for other reasons). It always give me a dump of CPU#0(the PIII).
lastly is there a version of CPU-z or equiv that can tell me what speed my CPU's are running at. thanks.

So you have two processors in your PC, a PIII and a PII? That's a little confusing.

Anyway, each new processor has some newer features that the older ones left out, but there's still legacy support, so you'll want to choose the lowest common denominator, the PII in this case. Selecting the PII option will allow you to run everything from a PII on up, which will be good if you change procs again.

To see the speed of your CPUs type cat /proc/cpuinfo at a command line.

If you have a SMP box, please mention that before you say that you put another cpu in it. It's a little less confusing that way, since most computers are single CPU boxes.
Anyway, you can also do dmesg|less to see what the kernel spit out during the last boot. That will also include any information about your SMP config.
The "S" in SMP (Symmetric) means that both CPUs run at the same speed. A bigger surprise would be if they both ran at their default speeds.

well i cant even get it to boot with the new kernel. it seems to always fail either on bring up the raid or mount other filesysystems. it turns out i can use shift+pgup or shift+pgdw to scroll during boot(sorta useful). the process that always causes the problem is raid5d and it always fails on cpu 0, the PII.
and about the SMP box thing, i sorta figured that would be taken for granted, bc how else would i have 2 cpu's in one machine. but yes it is a SMP board, and until now its just been running with a single cpu.

Back