• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need helping proving to my uncle that Intel P4's are crap!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AzzKickerG1

Registered
Hey guys. over the Easter vacations my uncle who is a big Intel P4 fan is coming over. I'm almost sure a AMD v.s Intel argument will surface. i need some defenses and offenses. He's likely to say how the Intel has PC800 ram or whatever and this larg FSB. what are some points i can come up with.

you could tell him to overclock it and see how far he can go
cuz with multipler locked and the most FSB already set that chip is already overclocked (ithink)

There is so many reasons why the P4 is insuperior. You should try the debates part of the forum for a better response. In a nutshell, the P4 isn't designed for any of the current software so it does not run well. just look at the benchmarks. My Athlon destroys any P4 in a test!

This might change in the future...but right now DDR is much better than Rambus. The p4 sucks. You could argue why some P3's are better. Any benchmarks showing performance show the TBirds smoking the p4's. The 1.5ghz ratting is kinda BS on Intel's part too. The processor was released early to meet marketting demands...it's basically an unfinished processor.

They are also expensive as hell. The P4 also has features that aren't even supported in most programs.

any one who would think the p4 is any good doesn't have the technical knowledge to understand why it isn't, I'm sure refusing to even talk to hime about it would probabally wind him up a bit.

Being a former Intel Junkie, I have to speak (But I know i'm gunna get REAMED!)

The P4's aren't crap. Overall they aren't crap. They are currently crap, because NOTHING makes use of anything that they provide! That, and they are MUCH too expensive (what w/ having to buy RDRAM for them and all . . . Hell, I could build a SYSTEM for what they're charging!) I picked up my Tbird 1000 Mhz for under what they were charging for a PIII 800EB, which I originally wanted. Once the infrastructure is in place for them (I.E. Programs that use the **** they provide), I'm sure that they'll be alright, and quite a contender (specially if they lower their prices . . . yeah, right!) But for now I'm happy w/ my AMD. I had never used one before this, but I must say that I'm impressed!

Just my two cents

hey, I just wrote a 20 page tech report for school on the differences between the T-bird, PIII, and the P4. Here are a few of the places I got most of my info from. You should be able to take them and glean any information you need from them.
good luck!

btw, my paper decided that the Athlon kicked the P4's arse ;-)

you are correct hooziewhatsit, if you take the time to examine the deficiencies of the p4 there is no way you could justify it's price and it only makes the fact that it runs at 1.7ghz or what ever a joke, I generally don't trust sandra benchmarks, but if you compare the sse2 benchmark of a 1.5ghz p4 and the sse of a 1ghz p3 there is less than a 15% differance, in other words a p3 running at around 1.15ghz would get the same score and this is with out the dual channel rdram architechture, you may argue that it isn't fully optimised for sse2 yet, but that doesn't explain why it runs sse instructions slower (in terms of clock cycles taken to perform and instruction) than a p3, no wonder intel didn't release a 1.13ghz p3 or faster seeing as how it would out perform their new chip, sse2 is going to have to be something really special if the p4 is ever going to go anywhere, and it is going to take a die size change before any one can afford it

With Intels move to a 0.13 micron process, and future software being optimised for the P4, I'm sure it will be a good compeditor to the Thunderbird in price and performance, espically as it will ramp up to 2 GHz very quickly. Lets see what AMD does with Palomino and Morgan though, hopefully they will leave the P4 in the dust.

Some things are just not worth arguing about...
This is one of them.

You wouldn't bother trying to convince someone that the Earth was round if they thought it was flat, would you? Same with the P4...it's a bad chip, plain and simple. All of the reviews on the internet show this. If someone still ignores all that and believes in the P4, it's just as if they believed the world is flat-- nothing is going to convince them.

Anyway, if you are really interested: If you search in the Intel CPU forum there was a debate going on about whether the P4 was good or not (which I made the mistake of getting involved with).

Well you could show him this.... Tell him I said for $200 he can have one too... We won't tell anyone :)

Back