• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Better Performance?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

a12bc3

Im going to get 1gig of memory and put it in a dual channel mobo. The mobo will have 4 slots.

Dimm1.....Dimm2....Dimm3....Dimm4
1x256.....1x256.....1x256.....1x256
1x512.....X...........1x512.....X
Dimm1.....Dimm2....Dimm3....Dimm4

Would 4x256mb(green) sticks or 2x512mb sticks(blue) have better or worse performance?

Thanx for any benchmark results or personal trials.

Va10r:cool:

i'd go with 2 sticks of 512 simple cause it leaves you wiht more headroom in the future =d if you go 4 sticks you're stuck with that amount forever or waste more $$ on an upgrade

Oh god the colors...my eyes!

I have heard from a number of people here on the forums suggest that 2 chips will overclock better than 4. Not sure if there is any truth to that, but it is what I hear. That aside, I would also recommend going with 2x512 for the reason of not limiting a possible upgrade later.

if this is for a p4 system then no doubt go 4x256. Your OC may not be as high in terms of FSB (one chip will drag the others down), but clock for clock 2x512 will get beat by 4x256. This has been proved by reviews as well as individuals in the forums. So just get RAM that can handle the speed you want (yuo want 233 FSB get PC3700, you want higher whip out your wallet and start shelling out)

Its going to be a P4 system and I probly wont OC it. Sooo. I also wanted to get 4 sticks so that if I wanted to sell the computer I could sell it w/512mb of ram and still sell it as dual channel. Also the ram I want to get is HyperX. Is there any performance difference between 2-2-2-6-1 and 2-3-2-6-1 latency if I'm not going to OC.

Oh and I just wanted to spell it out w/the c o l o r s.

Va10r:cool:

Back