• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Doom 3 MP Screenies

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
those screenshots are might purdy - gonna be one eye candalicious experience if nothing else. Cant wait to see whether things like SOF3, Q4, maybe another JK would be made with the engine.

:santa2:

dooom looks killer, if doom3 is anything like the original...

it must be mine!

lol

BigRed said:
Meh..

After seeing all the recent HL2 videos the graphics on doom3 dont look all that impressive anymore.

dit-o. they will be smart to not release this at the same time as hl2.

Comparing HL2 and D3 graphics is a joke. Doome3 graphics are heads and shoulders above Hl@. I'm not saying I wasn't impressed with HL2, but it is a much smaller step when compariing pure graphics.

HOWEVER, the physics engine in HL2 is unbelievable!!!

SemiCycle said:
Comparing HL2 and D3 graphics is a joke. Doome3 graphics are heads and shoulders above Hl@. I'm not saying I wasn't impressed with HL2, but it is a much smaller step when compariing pure graphics.

HOWEVER, the physics engine in HL2 is unbelievable!!!

You say it's a joke, and yet you do it anyways :confused:

Guys, can we please have a thread about this game that doesn't degrade into a 'Which unreleased, unplayed, untested game is better' thread?

I think that would make my week.

im rather disapointed, after all the hype that it was going to take nothing short of a graphic card with the power of an atomic generator to run this game i was simply expecting something more... Its just more of the same with pretty graphics, nothing radical.
Its a sheep game, it just follows what has gone before without drastically changing anything or making a massive step forward.... we seriously need another game like Q3 which changes gaming

Oni said:

You say it's a joke, and yet you do it anyways :confused:

Guys, can we please have a thread about this game that doesn't degrade into a 'Which unreleased, unplayed, untested game is better' thread?

I think that would make my week.

LOL. I think you took my statement incorrectly. I don't mean the ACTION of comparing them is a joke, I think his conclusions of the comparison were the joke. There is nothring wrong with making a comparison between 2 items. Everyone within these forums does it daily. It is the way we judge items and make buying decisions. I understand when someone makes a completely emtpy statement like : "A is better then B because B sucks PERIOD." I didn't do this though. I tried to use a couple specific examples to support what I like about each game. I believe they both will sale a ton and make alot of money for each developer.

UnseenMenace said:
im rather disapointed, after all the hype that it was going to take nothing short of a graphic card with the power of an atomic generator to run this game i was simply expecting something more... Its just more of the same with pretty graphics, nothing radical.
Its a sheep game, it just follows what has gone before without drastically changing anything or making a massive step forward.... we seriously need another game like Q3 which changes gaming

Now this is a true statement. You really can't fault them for going with the accepted norms and making money at what they do best. I read an interview the other day with John Carmack that answered this question. He says :

"""
GameSpy: Do you see yourself ever straying away from FPS games?

John Carmack: Occasionally I desire to do a different kind of game. To a large degree, id Software is a prisoner of its own success. Because we are a single-title company, we have a strong obligation to do something that has relatively low risk.

With game development taking multiple years and costing many millions of dollars… I think real innovation will not necessarily come from triple-A titles. Triple-A titles have so much of an investment that it engenders a huge risk-aversion. I think that the real innovation will come from things that are done on a smaller budget, that might be targeted as budget titles. It's okay to risk $500,000 on a development budget where you might say, "This is a clever idea, lets give it a try." Risking $10 million dollars, and some development budgets are going well over that already, is a lot harder.

Even going to another style of game, we have an obligation to make sure that our current distribution of artists, level designers, and programmers are gainfully employed on the next project. We are built around doing first-person shooters with this mix of content creation.
"""

The complete interview is here : http://www.gamespy.com/quakecon2003/carmack/index.shtml

Thanks for the Link SemiCycle :D... very interesting
Allthough pretty graphics are all very nice I do think that the consumer should start looking for something more, how many people are going to rush out and pay for this game and others like them when in reality the game play is not massively a different experience from what has gone before it ?... Should we not be looking at the experience more ?

I would have liked to see real time, reasonable quality voice communication can you imagine playing a team game and recieveing orders from a real person and suffering the mistakes or rewards of the commanders tactics..... and what about user expressions for the player skin.. take for example.. three still pictures 1) for the playing mode expression 1) one for the 'kill' expression 1) for the 'dying' expression.... it could add a little more to the game play.... What about a global league or high score chart ?.. game companys could earn a lot of money by doing a subscription based 'world league' for clans

These things could have changed the way in which we play games imho... instead we got more of the pretty stuff which is a shame

Those pics are nice, but they dont really impress me. All the hype surrounding the game must be the cause of that. Anyway, I agree with those who say that graphics dont make a good game. Doom3 could be the best looking game out, but if the gameplay isnt there, how long are you gonna be playing it? Till you beat the final level? Heck, I'm STILL playing brood war and CS.

Oh and a note about HL
HL2 uses features of DX9 (instead of OpenGL like Doom3) and a combination of dynamic and static lighting (as opposed to purely dynamic on in D3). This means D3's engine is more complex but not necessarily better looking one.

Doom3 DOES look better than HL2 - you can see that from looking at it, the level detail in HL2 seems still very basic - but the textures and models have been massively overhauled.

but on which is the better game, everyone seems to be trying to make that old cliche "its all graphics, no gameplay" - and ending on that note of wisdom hitting us with "therefore HL2 is better"...where does that come from exactly?

I hope both games are unbelievably crap as a lesson to you all you people randomly taking sides :santa2:

Im not sure if that was directed at me so let me just clear it up by saying Im not taking any sides. I just think that judging a game by its graphics alone is not a good way to go about it (and that, it seems like, people are doing).

And yes, it will be very funny indeed if both games completely suck.

Back