• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Good Case And Power Supply????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gamer004

i am on a little tight budget, and dont wanna spend over $50 for a case and PSU, does anyone know a good case and PSU for under $50??

i have that case and it came with a 350 watt powerup supply, which i believe is made by allied/deer...not a very good supply, although it did fine with a 1.6ghz tualatin....

i wouldn't trust it with an overclocked AMD or p4 though....

for $70 you can get this one from www.newegg.com

Top Seller!
ANTEC SOLUTION SERIES MODEL SLK3700AMB w/ANTEC SMART POWER 350W P4/AMD POWER SUPPLY ATX12V - RETAIL

that comes with a decent 350 watt antec....

but you might be better off getting as good a case as you can afford without the power supply ($17-?) and then get a $32 fortron 350 watt power supply that is a very solid power supply for an overclocked p4 for a very low price

well it really depends on what you are trying to run on this psu...350w may not be enough and most likey wont if you try and OC...always best to go get a good PSU...cause if you are trying to run that rig thats in your profile...you could encounter problems with something as low as 350w. Go antec best imo http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProduct.asp?description=11-129-122&depa=1

(heh i just realized thats what dustybyrd reccomended :p)

well it really depends on what you are trying to run on this psu...350w may not be enough and most likey wont if you try and OC...always best to go get a good PSU...cause if you are trying to run that rig thats in your profile...you could encounter problems with something as low as 350w. Go antec best imo http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProduct.asp?description=11-129-122&depa=1

(heh i just realized thats what dustybyrd reccomended :p)

while i think the 350 antec is likely to be a decent supply....i have not used it....

i have however read posts from experienced PC builders (larva) that the 350 watt antecs are a little weaker than the 350 watt Fortron/Sparkles...

the 380 watt antec true power is about as good as a Fortron 350 (see http://www6.tomshardware.com/howto/20021021/powersupplies-07.html#maximum_output_overload_test )

however, it costs almost twice as much as the fortron 350....

if you need more power (for over 2.5ghz AMD or over 3.2ghz P4's)then a Fortron 530 or Antec True Power 430, 480 or 550 can be had for $70-125...

otherwise, if you are on a budget, then i'd say get the 350 watt fortron...i doubt you'll find a better supply for under $50

I've used the SL350 - it's a very good unit, but the Fortron/Sparkle 350 has more overclock potental IMO. I'd agree with the True 380 being roughly equal to the Fortron 350.

You should be able to get a decent o/c out of it. That case is sweet btw ;)

the link to the case you want isnt working for me, but if its an antec 350watt psu it wont be very good for an amd mobo if your mobo pulls cpu vcore from the 12volt rail, i am in the process of upgrading my comp and had to go out and buy a true430 after i switched motherboards. i went from having a stable 2350 on my msi kt3 ultra 2 to having an 11.7 12v rail at idle at 1733mhz on my msi k7n2. i rebooted under load. if your mobo pulls cpu vcore off of the 12v rail you will have to do better than an antec 350

Skimping money on a PSU is not going to be good for you in the long-term. You could not stand instability could you? :)
As far as the psu is concerned I would go with at least an Antec 350

spendin under 50 with power supply and overclocking is more reasonable but with case!?! expect to spend more. a good choice proabbly for you is the slk3700. 350w smart power and a decent case. $68 cheapest on pricewatch at accupc which has a good resellerrating

Directron has a large selection of cases and lets you choose a psu to match. Unforunately, they don't carry Forton/Sparkle, but prices are good.

Back