• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wireless notebook card will keep switching 802.11 wireless access points!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ssgohan434

Silicon Valley---> moved to Washington State
sometimes the laptop will pick up another signal and drop the signal i have set it up to use. Is there a way to set it so that it will only use the one i have and not someone elses??? OS is WIN XP Home on laptop and Pro on this desktop. The problem is with the laptop. The desktop is hardwired to the router. The router is the WRTG from Linksys.

XP is a real pain when it comes to wireless. I was running 2k pro on my laptop and had no problems with my wireless setup for nearly 2 years. As soon as I loaded XP pro the problems started. I only have one AP, but XP will constantly drop the connection for a few seconds, and then reconnect - the tray icon will say "wireless connection unavailable" for a bit, then it will update with my AP. Other times it will drop the connection, and then rather than reconnect it tells me that I can choose from a list of available networks, but of course mine is the only one listed. I read through some suggestions on google groups about doing away with the xp wireless configuration service, but that didn't help. Do some searching on google groups and see if you find anything pertaining to your hardware.

Back