• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Tyan Trinity 400 help please. (VIA chipset)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mpegger

My Tyan Trinity 400 board refuses to work properly with my GeForce3 (not Ti) PNY card. The board will boot up and go through its normal bios routine up to where it would normaly say "Updating ESCD..... complete". It refuses to get to that point in the boot process and will freeze. I've tried a number of different settings but nothing seems to work. I've even had the GF3 card on its own IRQ and still the same problem. Does anyone with that board know what I may need to do to make it work properly with the GF3 card? The GF3 works fine in my old Abit board, and I'm currently using a AGP card in the Tyan Trin 400, so I'm thinking there has to be some setting in bios that is incorrect (AGP driving value?). Please help! :(

What version Bios do you have? The AGP driving value did change between versions, the default one that is. In the fisrt version it was CC, in the final version it was EC. Fastwrites was an option that caused problems in certain bios versions also. It may not be available in the final one. It's been a few years since I ran mine.

The only other thing I can think of off hand is that the more powerfull card may suck more juice than the cheaper one you are running now so that could indicate a power supply upgrade may be needed.

PSU souldn't be a problem, just upgraded to a 300watter from a previous 230watt that also ran the card fine along with alot of other stuff. I'm surprised it took 5 years for the psu to finally burn out. :D

And I was wondering about that AGP driving value. I have the final revision of the bios installed and I could have sworn it was on EC when I tried the card. Then I read somewhere that it sould be CC. I changed the value, but just my luck, when I picked up the GF3 card, one of the ram sinks fell off. :eek:

Now I have to wait till I get some AA epoxy before I try the card again. :mad:

If it doesn't work with some more fidgeting with the bios, I'm going to have to grab a magnifying glass and check the AGP port contacts and how they mate to the GF3 card. The case is alittle ackward and seem to force the card to go into the slot as far foward as possible, so it may be that a pin or 2 is making contact with more then one contact on the card.

Other then that, my only other recourse is a complete system upgrade (I'm only on a 1G Cele :eek: ), which I can't afford for a long time to come. :(

Back