• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Low raid0 performance?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kev380

hi everybody, i just setup my raid0 with 2 new wd 8mb 80 gig drives. but it seems that the performance is much lower than the average raid0 performance. and i dont know why my pc mark2002 hdd score keeps dropping too. yesterday it was 1760 and today it is 1140. any idea? i set my stripe size to 64k. is there anything i overlook to set. thanks.

anybody? could it be overheating that causes the problem? plz help.

drivers?

Are you using an on board RAid controller or aftermarket? If on board, have you checked and installed all the latest drivers and bios for your motherboard? I'm assuming you installed the OS on the RAID set up, and did you defrag the drives after every install to optimise performance? need more info to help any further.

Man, there's been so many threads about low raid0 performance..unfortunately there haven't been too many usefull solutions other than the obvious ones.

My write speeds are around 37k and read speeds are 78k via ATTO. :(

yeah, i use onboard raid chip and i am sure i have the lastest drivers and bios installed and my xp is on the raid setup. i just format the drives so fragmentation should not be a problem. i tried to post my atto but the forum doesnt allow me to. it says "u may not post attachment" under the forum rules.

find a site to host your image, then click on image(IMG) tag when posting, paste the web address, and it should work. There are some sites that wil host your jpeg files for free, I just cant come up with one, I am sure someboby will, or try this one http://www.theforumisdown.com

Have you tried the ATTO benchmark? I think PCMark doesn't bench RAID correctly at all. My Raptors can hit over 100MB a sec in ATTO, but PCMark gave me an 820!, yeah right. My single 80G 8MB cache could hit 1100, so I know the benchmark is whack.

Another thing is your stripe/cluster size, which you almost always want to match. The default stripe is 16K for many controllers and since I'm not working with large files, such as video editing, I left mine there, 64K is pretty damn large for just OS and games and such. Another thing that may affect performance is your cluster size Windows uses. The default is 4K, if you set that to the same as your stripe size, performance will most definately increase. I don't know how to choose cluster size while installing Windows or if it's even available to choose, I used Partition Magic to change it from 4K to 16K myself. My benches went from 70MB peak to 100MB by changing the clusters to 16K and then defragging the drives.

Last edited:
tuskenraider said:
, I used Partition Magic to change it from 4K to 16K myself. My benches went from 70MB peak to 100MB by changing the clusters to 16K and then defragging the drives.

Can you explain this further? This is an option in partition magic? I'm guessing this is when you first install an OS, or can you just change it when an OS is already installed?

Can you explain this further? This is an option in partition magic? I'm guessing this is when you first install an OS, or can you just change it when an OS is already installed?
I need an answer to this one too. This might just give me the reason to buy Partition Magic at CC ($20.00 after upgrade version and MIR)

can anyone tell me where to get the ATTO benchie program?? i had search for many place but still can't get it. thanks! :)

The simplest way to change your cluster size without having to buy any third party software is to use the recovery console but the downside is that you will lose all your data but then again even PQ's PM will tell you to backup whatever data you have before you attempt to execute any changes. To choose the cluster size you want all you have to do is ad a switch to the format command;

X:\FORMAT C: /A:16K

/A:16K = 16K Clusters
/A:32K = 32K Clusters
/A:64K = 64K Clusters

:beer:

firebird79 said:
thanks elec.tron!! now i only know that is the thing that i been looking for. :)

Glad to help, the ATTO link comes up from time to time, seems like there used to be one that didn't include all the other utilities, just Bench 32, but i've wiped it or they changed their website or both. Have fun and post your results for the rest of us.
elec.tron

Back