• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Tired of being taken advantage of by my friends. Would like the help of a guru.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ElGriton

I'm the guy all my friends call for computer problems. I don't mind. Heck I like it, it's my hobby after all :) I don't charge my friends anything to do the work, I do however charge their friends. If a friend of a friend of a friend screws up his computer he's going to pay me to fix it. It's rare that I actually DO get paid though. So what I'm wondering is if one of you could write me a little program that will nag them every time they boot the computer that they have X number of days left to pay Steve. They can then enter the release code I provide which will stop the program or they can click the later button. Then, after 30 days they will no longer be able to use the computer until the release code is entered. I realize this seems harsh but if I only collected on half the money I was owed I could live a better life style.

I wouldn't recommend doing that. Once their computer is rendered unusable by the program, they can get you in trouble with the law for installing a malicious (sp?) program on their computer without their consent. And unless you have some proof that you did the work and that they didn't pay you, you'd have no way to get the money out of them.

Next time demand cash up front :p.

-daga

daga5831 said:
I wouldn't recommend doing that. Once their computer is rendered unusable by the program, they can get you in trouble with the law for installing a malicious (sp?) program on their computer without their consent.

If you get a program like this made for you, just tell them up front what will happen if they dont pay ya :)

o0OBruceLeeO0o said:
If you get a program like this made for you, just tell them up front what will happen if they dont pay ya :)

It still illegal if you don't have their permission. It doesn't matter if you warn them. That's like walking up to someone and saying "I'm going to steal your wallet", and then stealing it. You'll still get arrested for stealing their wallet. The fact that you told them beforehand changes nothing.

-daga

Daga5381 has a very good point... but I suggest that you have a call-out charge of some form, or an upfront payment of, for example $50 that is payable even if the problem is solved in 30 seconds, then charge by the hour.

Discuss this before you start working, and at the end, write them out an invoice, and keep a copy.

If they then refuse to pay up, you can get the law onto them for refusing to pay you the money that they owe :D

Good luck!
-Blueacid

I do home support out here in Japan for westerners that can't speak Japanese or read Japanese and are either using Japanese or English O/S.

As Blueacid said first you should have a call out charge that covers the 1st hour, they pay me when i arrive and i give them the invoice straight away, then it goes to an hourly rate. I also charge different rates for stand alone PC's and Networks. Again I invoice always and they have exactly 1 month to pay up.

The only problem with the invoice is that you have to pay Tax..... so if your not paying Tax on your extra earnings, then you can't really complain if people don't pay up.

I'd just make them pay up-front. It's probably easier than making up an invoice, and trying to hound them if they don't pay after the time-limit. Get them to tell you the problem over the phone, think up some possible solutions for the problem, then, based on the amount of time you spend, get the money from them right there and then. If they don't pay you, don't leave their house. Or if they brought the computer to you, don't let them take it. You have a right to the money that they agreed to. But make sure you tell them BEFORE you start working, that they have to give you the money up front. They may be expecting to pay you later, and you keeping their computer may come as a huge shock.

-daga

daga5831 said:

It still illegal if you don't have their permission. It doesn't matter if you warn them. That's like walking up to someone and saying "I'm going to steal your wallet", and then stealing it. You'll still get arrested for stealing their wallet. The fact that you told them beforehand changes nothing.

-daga

Not if they sign a contract. Hell Xp does this very thing.

"I'd just make them pay up-front. It's probably easier than making up an invoice, and trying to hound them if they don't pay after the time-limit. Get them to tell you the problem over the phone, think up some possible solutions for the problem, then, based on the amount of time you spend, get the money from them right there and then. If they don't pay you, don't leave their house. Or if they brought the computer to you, don't let them take it. You have a right to the money that they agreed to. But make sure you tell them BEFORE you start working, that they have to give you the money up front. They may be expecting to pay you later, and you keeping their computer may come as a huge shock."

However I think this is a simpler way to handle things. And if they don't pay it can fold for awhile.:D

have them sign a release form if they dont pay up front (an agreement policy) if they dont pay the proggy will render the computer usless untill they pay you to get the release code

make a contract on your computer explaining the price and amount of time they have to pay the fee and explain in it what the program will do if they do not pay, and then just them sign it

you'd be better off having them pay. if they're somewhat smart they could ask you how you fixed it then sys restore and fix it on their own. no nagging program and no money spent.

Back