• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

To use Conductive pen, or not, that is the question...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dawizard4

Ok, little mad. Friend's conductor pen is "dead" so, I need to connect the L1 bridges. What other things can I use which would still help me out?

Head to the auto parts store and pick up a "rear window defogger repair kit" It has a little bottle of conductive paint in it, just apply it with a pin. The on I got is made by Loctite. Costs about 10 bucks, takes about 15 min and you are cookin. :)

Fiz

Just use a pencil. It sounded silly the first time I heard it, but it worx. Use HB mechanical lead or your standard #2 wooden pencil, but make sure it's sharp, and be careful not to connect adjacent bridges. Also, use a magnifying glass to check for crossovers as you go along. Some say you will need to reapply the marks every now and then, but mine's been working unlocked for about 4 months now... no probs at all, except that I want that gig badly.. hehe

Other ideas?
Window defogger repair kit. You'll find more ppl doing either the pencil or WDR trick than using conductive pen, as it's more practical.

Proof?
Unlocked D750 @ 927 (9 X 103)
Stable... no pencil reapplications since I first unlocked it.

K-Lined4Lyf

Dawizard4 (Apr 13, 2001 07:10 p.m.):
Ok, little mad. Friend's conductor pen is "dead" so, I need to connect the L1 bridges. What other things can I use which would still help me out?

You could also try a mechanical pencil w/ a .5mm lead. Thats what I'm using, and it works great!

I've used both pencil and the rear window defroster repair kit with good results either way. If you do decide to use the defogger kit, make sure that you get the right stuff. There are two products out there made by the same companies. One is a single part paint like product used to repair the traces on the glass, the other is a two part epoxy like mixture that you use to repair the connection between the wire leads and the grid on the glass. You will want the single part item for repairing the traces. I've heard of people having problems with the two part epoxy.

I prefer the defroster kit over the pencil because of durability.

A bright light and a magnifying glass helps my 44 year old eyes as well.

Good luck!

Back