• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Real Time MPEG2 hardware capture

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Elephanthead

Registered
I'm looking to build a tv pc, basically I want to be able to record broadcast tv onto a dvd. What I would like to know is have you had an experience with any of the new, real time mpeg2 encoders on the market, and which ones would you recommend. I would consider internal pci, or external usb 2 models. TIVO like bundeled software is a plus. Try to keep your recomendation under $500 as more then that is out of my budget. Thanks. I realize the price is limiting, but I think there are some out there. Links to forums about this would also be greatly appreciated.

My computer is my tv. The VIVO cards I've had have always done a great job with recording. If you are looking for a dedicated card tho, pinnacle or prolink are the best companies for capture cards.

Heck, I do all my video captures in MPEG2 with a Radeon 9000 Pro AIW. I've probably got 100 GB of DVD quality recordings on my computer.

I have an Asus I'm pleased with but I have no brand preference.
I just wish I had gone for one with an FM tuner.

The breakout box included with the Asus is a nice feature, basically AV jacks that you can move to a convenient spot.
The remote with the Asus is total junk, I've never ever disliked a remote before. I figure most of the remotes that come with these cards are equal quality so you might plan on buying a learning remote for longterm usage.

Unfortunately computer screens (especially LCDs) are not well suited for video.

"Unfortunately computer screens (especially LCDs) are not well suited for video."
Actually, computer screens that work great for gaming are also great for video.

Back