• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what to do with "extra" cash for pc

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DayUSeX

Well I am going to be upgrading soon so here is my current situation.
I plan on getting a waterchill kit to watercool this computer for 300 dollars roughtly. And after buying all the parts I need i have about 300 "left over". So what do you recommend I get to help boost my computer
-A prometia mach1 phase change cooler.
-Some more ram (current ram considering is ocz 1gb 3200 cas2)
-more hard drives (currently 2 raptors, should i get 2 more raptors to make some uber raid or a 250gb hard drive for storage)
-A dvd+-r burner (becuase they are cool and currently using a 48x plextor cdr)
-ipod (becuase i love music)

any other suggetions would be apprecaited!

erm could i know why md is better than ipod, i mean ipods have 30 gb!!!! thats amazing, i would onyl need 2 for my whole collection ;)

DayUSeX said:
erm could i know why md is better than ipod, i mean ipods have 30 gb!!!! thats amazing, i would onyl need 2 for my whole collection ;)

because md look cool and they used them on the matrix lol

You can get a discman that plays mp3 cdr's for $30-50 now. They usually have about 45 seconds of skip protection. I think it's a much better option than the iPod or a MD player. The iPod is cool, don't get me wrong, but it's expensive. I saw a Rio 20gb mp3 player the other day for $125, still expensive for my taste. The MD players are cheaper (generally) than hard drive based mp3 players, but the discs add up over time, and they only store about *edit*140MB.*edit* You can use them to record, which is nice. However, I would still go for a regular discman that can play mp3 cdr's (more space than MD, cheaper, media tends to be cheaper too). And you can get a good DVD+/-RW for about $150 or so now. You could have two things on your list for $200 and save a $100 for later.

*edit*
Thanks for the correction cjw.

Last edited:
Giblet Plus! said:
Why are you spending $300 on a medium performance watercooling kit? For that much, you should have a high performance custom setup, and money left over.

can you recommend the parts to get to cool an operton/amd64 system?
that would be great help as my last water cooling i built using a maze 2 and a black ice radiatior and wasnt to happy with all the screwing around I had to do but wouldnt mind it, if it saved money and performed alot better

DayUSeX said:

lol true but i can get my ipods for about 100 dollars cheaper so it kinda helps knowing they are still expensive but not that expensive, and cd-rs add up over time, plus you cant take them to the gym which is my main goal as my local gym plays crap/
Erm...
$10 for a minidisk
19 cents for a cd

It doesnt add up to much over time ;)

Why couldn't you take a cd player to the gym? They are not like the players of old that skipped when you breathed, they can take quite a bit of a shock. They generally are reading any where from 30 to 120 seconds ahead of what is playing. Or did you mean it would be awkward to carry the cds? you'd only need one for a workout. At normal mp3 compression you'd get about 11 hours of music on one cd.

druidelder said:
Why couldn't you take a cd player to the gym? They are not like the players of old that skipped when you breathed, they can take quite a bit of a shock. They generally are reading any where from 30 to 120 seconds ahead of what is playing. Or did you mean it would be awkward to carry the cds? you'd only need one for a workout. At normal mp3 compression you'd get about 11 hours of music on one cd.
well it would be OK lifting but when I do endurance like bike riding and other stuff its just weird having that cdplayer althought im starting to see your point. Plus I hardly listen to the same song twice, i always have my collection on shuffel, so thats what i like about ipod i can hear my whole collection on shuffle, i dont have to selectively pick songs. but valid point taken, so if i do co cdr mp3 whats left of the other cash?!

If you went cd/mp3 player you could spend anywhere from $25-150, though the cheaper ones seem to have the same features and anti-skip protection. That would leave you $150-275 from the extra $300 you said you'd have left. That would still be plenty to get a dvd+/-rw and maybe even keep some $$ in your pocket.

you could always send it to me if you really want to get it off your hands, i could spend it for you!!

lansens said:
2 more Raptors!:D

yeah im thinking of doing that for a totally kickass setup for hard drive setup althought a dvd burner would be nice i dont exactly have alot to burn

BigRed said:

Erm...
$10 for a minidisk
19 cents for a cd

It doesnt add up to much over time ;)
it does add up becuase over here its like 50 bucks for 100cds, and the fact is cdrs always seem to break, plus you have to carry around that large *** binder everywhere for all your music, its just annoying, md i might look into but at only 52mb thats pretty useless for my needs.

DayUSeX said:

it does add up becuase over here its like 50 bucks for 100cds, and the fact is cdrs always seem to break, plus you have to carry around that large *** binder everywhere for all your music, its just annoying, md i might look into but at only 52mb thats pretty useless for my needs.
Nobody can have that many legal mp3s :rolleyes:
And 50cents a cd? wtf? Where do you live?

live in cali, so go figure

and yes you can....i ripped most of them myself, and the rest are from emusic a legal mp3 service so there =P.

Back