• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

www.microsoft.com runs Linux?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

UnseenMenace

UnseenModerator
On Friday Microsoft changed its DNS so that requests for www.microsoft.com no longer resolve to machines on Microsoft’s own network, but instead are handled by the Akamai caching system, which runs Linux. This action was taken to protect themselves from the DOS attack of the blaster worm on Windows Update... Says it all really, if they don't trust their own products how to the expect the customer to do the same

http://news.netcraft.com/archives/2003/08/17/wwwmicrosoftcom_runs_linux_up_to_a_point_.html

Another amusing side effect of this situation now is that the much hyped MS passport system finds that some passport related URLs now pop up a Security Alert saying "The name on the security certificate is invalid or does not match the name of the site"

Does this mean MS should be considered to be using invalid passports or that the passport system is flawed ?

I from what I remember Hotmail ran on BSD, and Solaris, but they have since converted it to IIS. I think the whole Hotmail on Linux is another one of those urban myths.

Hotmail ran on FreeBSD, Microsoft eventually got it switched over to Win2k w/ IIS after alot of trouble and false starts. There's actually this internal report written by one of the engineers on that project that details some of the advantages Unix had over Windows and why that hindered the conversion.

Back