• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

File sharing: XP and 98SE

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DeathONator

I have two computers currently networked together and sharing INTERNET. The proxy computer is running 98SE while the computer in my sig is running XP Pro.

Now, I've been trying to get a couple folders shared by both computers, and I've been unsuccesful. On the 98 computer I added the service 'file and printer sharing', then I right clicked on two folder and choose to share them. On the XP computer I just right clicked and choose to share them also.

When I go to network neighborhood on the 98er it dosn't show my computer. And when I go to My Network Places on my comp it dosn't show anything. What am I not doing?

Thanks for any replies!

goto the start menu > search > computers or people > a computer on the network > then enter the computers name and then hit search. this should work, i just found this when i was trying to find other computers on my network since the network panel dosen't show them:/

Ok, it found the other computer. I also just now set up norton firewall to see the network. And now when I go to My Network Places and hit Show workgroup computers it show the workgroup but no computers. I'll continue to messaround.

Ok, now EVERYTHING is working right. I think it was a combo of messing w/ the firewall and searching for the comp. Thanks for the help!

Back