• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

READY to buy IC7!!! But there is a problem :/

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Atari

What Ram?

The sad thing is I got a stick of V1.1 Corsair XMS PC3500! This I hear will be perfect in the board. But I need 1gb :/ (for work).
I hear all alot of memory not working with this board due to C5 chips which is what Corsair is using in the new v.2.1 of PC3500.. So anyone have any advice?? Does Corsairs PC3700 work?? Do they have the B5 chips?? I'm not able to buy the board till I get this figured out.

Thanks for ANY help!

I think the only problems the board has with certain memory is with dividers. I have a gig of Corsair XMS 3200 C2 (v2.2) and it doesn't really like to be set to 5:4. May want to search the forums since I can't say for sure.

Good luck is all I have to say. I have been diggin through forums for a month trying to figure out what RAM to buy! Everybody has something different to say. The same mem can somehow work for some people...and then some it won't. And I really don't want to play the "hit or miss" game with $300 Memory!!!

Corsair 3700 Twinx 2x512 WILL NOT WORK!

Using an IC7 with a 2.4c I am able to run a 275 fsb with a 3:2 memory divider, prime stable and all that good stuff.s With a 5:4 divider I am not even able to post at anything > 233.

Needless to say the ram is being RMA-ed. In favor of what I don't know, although adata seems to be the ram of the hour.

Zendel said:
Corsair 3700 Twinx 2x512 WILL NOT WORK!

Using an IC7 with a 2.4c I am able to run a 275 fsb with a 3:2 memory divider, prime stable and all that good stuff.s With a 5:4 divider I am not even able to post at anything > 233.

Needless to say the ram is being RMA-ed. In favor of what I don't know, although adata seems to be the ram of the hour.

hold on there....

it is well known that on most IC7's the 5:4 ratio does not work after 255fsb...also 1:1 ratio after 255fsb has problems as well.
this is not the memory...it is the bios.
abit seems to have a working beta bios being tested now.
5:4 and 1:1 ratio seems to work after 255fsb.

your ram timmings at 5:4 may also be too agresive.

the new bios will be available in less then a week. wait for it.

mica

Last edited:
micamica1217 said:

hold on there....

it is well known that on most IC7's the 5:4 ratio does not work after 255fsb...also 1:1 ratio after 255fsb has problems as well.

mica

Are you sure the bios fixes a problem with 5:4?

hipro5 only mentioned a fix for 1:1.

I hope you are right, because my system starts failing memtest86 at 256FSB and 5:4, but this is a different problem than the obvious software problem with 256FSB @ 1:1

Hmm, I have had 2 IC7's, both will run over 290FSB with 5:4, with my 2.6C i run at 277FSB 5:4 as my everyday setting. Twinmos/Winbond BH-5 and OCZ Gold 3700 will do the same.

I think my CPU is just a dog. I've got OCZ 3700 gold as well.

I was getting 65 C temp readings with stock cooling and 1.55V at 3.2 GHz and it wasn't even close to stable. I took the IHS off in hopes that a bad thermal joint between the IHS and the die was the problem. I wish now I'd just left the IHS on and tried to sell it as a stock speed only CPU.

With my watercooling setup and 1.675V, I haven't gotten truly stable above 3.06 GHz (5:4).

Edit: BTW, no offense to your dog intended. :D

Since87 said:

Are you sure the bios fixes a problem with 5:4?

hipro5 only mentioned a fix for 1:1.

I hope you are right, because my system starts failing memtest86 at 256FSB and 5:4, but this is a different problem than the obvious software problem with 256FSB @ 1:1

5:4 should work, yet I can't test because my friend wont let me borrow his 2.4c.
just wait and see, hipro will soon show benchies.

nikhsub1, as I've said, most, but not all, IC7 seem to have a 5:4 and 255fsb wall.
I'm glad your fine.

btw, I'm testing the new bios for stability on my 2.4b right now.
temps seem to have droped 1c....???? I can't see my room temps as lower then almost every other day, yet it is only 1c.
prime'ing for about an hour now, with folding.

edit:
hipro5 said:

It's improved by 5-8MHz for the ram......NOT stable the 5:4 yet at high frequencies.......

mica

micamica1217 said:

your ram timmings at 5:4 may also be too agresive.

What you are saying is misleading since there are other brands of ram, which do not seem to have this issue. The root of the problem is the bios, but since there is ram that does not seem to be afflicted by this I would have to say brand x does not work with the IC7 while brand y does. Moreover it seems Corsair ram, due to the chips they use, suffers the most.

About the bios update, I have seen nothing that talks about fixing the issue with the 5:4 divider. (The most important IMHO.) Hipro5 who actually has the bios says he only gained 5-8 mhz. Can you please give me a link to where you are getting this information? Inquiring minds want to know!

And my ram timings are as relaxed as they get, and my voltage is as high as I can go without modding. Actually, running anything other than the most relaxed settings will not be within the specs of the ram…

Last edited:
Zendel said:

What you are saying is misleading since there are other brands of ram, which do not seem to have this issue. The root of the problem is the bios, but since there is ram that does not seem to be afflicted by this I would have to say brand x does not work with the IC7 while brand y does. Moreover it seems Corsair ram, due to the chips they use, suffers the most.

belive me, I'm not trying to be misleading at all.....

as for memory, CH-5 seems to be the worst with lots of mobos, but this is not what we are realy talking about. so, I'll try to stay on topic.

if you notice, nikhsub1 is using Twinmos/Winbond BH-5 and OCZ Gold 3700....
hipro5 is using Twinmos/Winbond BH-5/6 as well (if I'm not mistaken), and if hipro5 is having problems with 5:4 then there is a problem with the mobo/bios.

as for the OCZ gold 3700...people are having problems as well.
(but not everybody)....strange.

as for Zendel's Corsair 3700 Twinx 2x512 ....they are BH-5 chips as well.

we could talk PCB of the sticks....but all sticks should do OK.

if you also notice, I have updated my posts, and am trying to give the best info posable....although they might be a little vage.

mica

micamica1217: No problem. I think we are both trying t say the same thing in a different way. My point was: while the root of the problem can be found in the Bios, there are types of ram that seem to escape the effects.

Sorry if I came off like an assh$#@, between the first days of Law School and my frustration with ABIT I am a bit on edge.

But OCZ 3700 ram seems to be the ticket. I will keep you posted.

Zendel said:
micamica1217: No problem. I think we are both trying t say the same thing in a different way. My point was: while the root of the problem can be found in the Bios, there are types of ram that seem to escape the effects.

Sorry if I came off like an assh$#@, between the first days of Law School and my frustration with ABIT I am a bit on edge.

But OCZ 3700 ram seems to be the ticket. I will keep you posted.

Zendel, every thing is cool.;)

keep digging...you'll find lots of 5:4 problems with/with out OCZ gold 3700.
but sometimes we just get bad sticks......:p
or people think you may not need to raise the voltage or use slower timmings to get them to work.

(as well as alot of the newer/cheaper sticks are now going CH-5)

mica

edit:

hipro5 said:

I own the EPOX 4PCA3+ Mobo and it's slower than this IC7 one........The GOOD thing about it is that it can "work" the Rams at 5:4 BETTER than the ABIT IC7 one which is maxed out at about 238MHz Ram frequency at 5:4 ....... ;)

Mem_7034_png.png

this is on a epox.....no, nothing wrong with abit's 5:4 ratio.:rolleyes:
(I mean no harm)

Last edited:
I'm trying to decide between different motherboards!

Argh, I have the IC7 bought from a store, and I have CH-5 Winbond chips, I don't have all the parts for the computer yet but should I just return the IC7 and get something else that will let me overclock?

I'm kinda dissapointed, I thought the IC7 was supposed to be really good.

Bringing this thread back from the dead; my friend opted to return the Corsair ram in favor of Buffalo Tech 3700. Figured if it is all a crap shoot go with the cheapest.

Preliminary results: Can boot with a 5:4 divider at 275 fsb! Which seems to be the limit of the cpu (as tested using the corsair with a 3:2 divider). Unfortunately prime95 fails in less than an hour. But 270 has been stable for a good 8 hours. A few more hours on that and I will fire up memtest.

Back