• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

new machine for sis

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

punkfu771

Registered
My sister is starting a new buisness and what they do is they make movies from pictures like a slideshow but all jazed up and stuff anyways she just bought a house so she kinda on a bugget and whanted to know what proc i should use is a p4 2.4c worht shelling out 90 more dollars then the barton 2500+ keep in mind this is going to be a movie edditing comp

Honestly for in a non oc'd situation. The P4 will tromp that Barton in movie editing.

In an oc'd situation with the barton at 2.2 and the p4 at 3.2 the barton will still get walked all over.

yea p4 has been known to be good for movie editing applications and such. i would take that route in her case. plus the barton will probably need an aftermarket heatsink to keep at a reasonable temp so the difference wont be 90 anymore :)

max

It is unfortunately true that PIV's are better in audio video editing because this kind of applications ask for more Mhz then for computing power. Well about the $ 90 difference I can not decide that. It may well be that you stay with AMD and spend that extra bucks for some video editing hardware to beat even a faster clocked PIV, but I don't know anything about video editing hardware :)

video editing hardware is crazy expensive. well per mhz a p4 actually does more in movie editing than an equally clocked amd. i know that one is shocking.

If you could convince the rewards of o/cing... Get a late run 1.6A run it @2.2 with a Zalman 7000CU and get some budget ddr366/400 RAM (ddr 333 may work too)

edit- The P4 @ 2.2Ghz will probably beat a Barton 3000+ at video editing.

Many graphics applications take advantage of dual CPU's / hyperthreading so the P4 would be a better choice. Of course if there is one main piece of software they use all the time then its probably best to check the software manufacturers recommendation.

gamefoo21 said:
video editing hardware is crazy expensive. well per mhz a p4 actually does more in movie editing than an equally clocked amd. i know that one is shocking.

Your good at showing your fanboy'ism aren't you..??

:eh?:

2.2ghz barton vs 3ghz P4.. both score 79-80. Hmm... 800mhz advantage.. I dont think its doing more per MHZ.

Back