Notices

Overclockers Forums > Software > Internet, Networking, and Security
Internet, Networking, and Security Networking and Viruses/Malware trouble. Get the answers here.
Forum Jump

Im confused..

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 08-21-03, 02:09 AM Thread Starter   #1
BiMM

Im confused..

I have DSL service from Speakeasy.net, and one of the Prestige DSL modems that they provide. When I try to hook up the DSL modem straight to the computer, the computer doesn't recognize that there is an ethernet cable plugged in. At first I thought there might be something wrong with the cable modem/ethernet drivers on the mobo. For the heck of it, I installed a Netgear 4-Port HUB that I had laying around between the 2, and for some strange reason, it works just fine. I know very little about networking and whatnot, but this seems really weird to me.. any ideas?

I just bought a Netgear 4-Port Router to install, and it doesnt work either with just the dsl modem and the router.. but if I include the hub it works just fine.. *sigh*
BiMM is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 08-21-03, 08:54 AM   #2
Numbstruck

What OS are you using?

I know in winXP theres the network setup wizard, and when me and my friends go up to our cabin we bring our little hub, rather than the router we usually use, and sometimes we have to run the setup wizard and select "hub" from the options, I dunno where it is....but anyway, u might try the Network setup wizard and see if that helps any.
Numbstruck is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 08-21-03, 12:18 PM   #3
srs

Did you use the cable that came with the modem to connect to your PC?
srs is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 08-21-03, 12:45 PM   #4
drshivas
Sith Lord

10 Year Badge

Ditto to what srs said: try to use the cable that came with the modem. Some modems use a crossover cable instead of regular patch cable. I had the same problem with my Speakeasy Zylink (or whatever) modem.
drshivas is online now Benching Profile Heatware Profile Rosetta Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 08-21-03, 12:47 PM   #5
twump

ditto again on using the cable that came with the modem. speakeasy gives you a crossover cable with your modem run that from the modem to your comp or hub. a normal patch cable from modem to comp won't work
twump is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 08-21-03, 03:23 PM   #6
TC
Senior Seti Addict

10 Year Badge

Definitely sounds like the cabling. Either that or your nic is trying to autodetect duplex and speed and the modem is supplying an out of range signal so it can't decide what to do.

Old 08-21-03, 03:31 PM Thread Starter   #7
BiMM

Duh.. Ima dope. So I should run the crossover that I got from Speakeasy from the modem to the router, then use the cable that came with the router to go from that to the computer.. Am I on the right track now? lol
BiMM is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 08-21-03, 04:15 PM   #8
Beast Of Blight
Disabled

Quote:
Originally posted by BiMM
Duh.. Ima dope. So I should run the crossover that I got from Speakeasy from the modem to the router, then use the cable that came with the router to go from that to the computer.. Am I on the right track now? lol
yes
Beast Of Blight is offline   QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Software > Internet, Networking, and Security
Internet, Networking, and Security Networking and Viruses/Malware trouble. Get the answers here.