• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

emabrked upon gentoo install

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SickBoy

Inactive Moderator
Well gentlemen, I did it. I got sick of Redhat and have started a stage 1 gentoo install. After some initial hangups I am now running emerge sync.... wish me luck. I'll update on progress/issues.

FWIW I'm doing it from inside Knoppix and ATM I am very impressed with the Knoppix 3.2 LiveCD though it fails to automatically get my soundcard running.... oh well.

Good luck, Sickboy. After using Red Hat, using Gentoo and the Portage system is refreshing. I hope the install goes smoothly for you, but if you run into trouble, we are here to help :)

SickBoy said:
Well gentlemen, I did it. I got sick of Redhat and have started a stage 1 gentoo install. After some initial hangups I am now running emerge sync.... wish me luck. I'll update on progress/issues.

FWIW I'm doing it from inside Knoppix and ATM I am very impressed with the Knoppix 3.2 LiveCD though it fails to automatically get my soundcard running.... oh well.

awesome dude, but it will take a VERY very long time

especially dpending on your processor speed

i think all in all, doing the install on my gateway

like starting the compiling in the morning, then doing another step when i went to bed etc

it took like 3/4 days to get everything set up (kde, mozilla etc etc)

on a p3 700mhz :eek:

There's a code:

knoppix alsa

That might help with the soundcard, but dfon't reboot just to use it. It doesn't work for my ac97 audio no matter what I try.

I'm doing the install on my dual XP 1700 box and so far it hasn't been too slow. the primary time consumer is actually downloading the ebuilds during stage 2, which is where it's at now.

[tangent]
I wish I had the patience to do Gentoo on this box (dual PPro w/ 256 MB RAM), but for my purposes, Debian is a good compromise between speed and not dying before emerge world finishes.
I may be getting a shiny new XP1700-ish dually for when Nothing New happens over the next year or so. That thing will have Gentoo written all over it (or Zynot if it ever gets off the ground).
[/tangent]
Have fun with Gentoo. I hope your first shot at it is less troublesome than mine was.

ok so I have my gentoo system working and am emerging KDE right now. problem is.... I have to do a modprobe 3c59x to get my network card working. how can I set this up so that it works automatically on boot?

Add it to your /etc/modules.autoload file. Just make a new line with the name of the module (3c59x), save the file, and it should load every time the system is started.

You can also compile it directly into the kernel, so you don't have to mess with modules. I personally like a monolithic kernel (one where everything is compiled into the kernel) rather than a kernel where I need to load modules.

I just started a new install on another system. I've found out that so far, two files the stage1 bootstrap tries to download are no longer available on the normal mirrors. Texinfo (i think that was it) is no longer on the gnu.org servers due to them being compromised & rebuilding their archive, and the protector-3.2.2-8.tar.gz for GCC compilation is no longer available from the IBM server, as well as IBM just completely moving their archive directory for this file. :mad:

Hacked workarounds for both, but kinda frustrating. Not really Gentoo's fault though.

Titan386 said:
Add it to your /etc/modules.autoload file. Just make a new line with the name of the module (3c59x), save the file, and it should load every time the system is started.

actually.... I think this file is named "kernel-2.4" and resides in /etc/modules.autoload.d after some digging. I was not able to find a /etc/modules/autoload file.

Have fun with Gebtoo Sickboy I installed it myself only a few weeks ago although I started from a stage3 tarball rather than a stage1, as a linux n00b i thought i was best starting there. Only bad thing about the install is the length of time it takes to emerge kde, it was an overnight job for me but im sure you will have it done in a blink on that nice dual setup you got there. Although it takes a while to get it fully up and runnign its well worth it, its a great distro portage just simply rocks :)

Another gentoo installee here ;)
Just emerging system now from a stage 2 tarball. hmmm, 7 of 73 so far, this may be sometime.

Tried overclockix earlier too, which was pretty cool, which is what prompted me to do a proper install, i've heard people going on about gentoo, and it looks good to me, so thought id give it a go :) tried redhat and mandrake before, but didnt like how they just had so much installed, quicker to install tho :p

Does anyone know how I can tell if I recompiled my kernel with proper SMP support (and both CPU's are being detected/used)?

Top only shows "CPU(s)" on the CPU utilization line, so that's no help.

I think I figured it out. I started an instance of Folding and only got roughly 50% CPU Utilization. SMP it is!!

But after fubaring and having to re-emerge the kernel source due to a bad kernel recompile... now my keyboard and mouse die after a few seconds in KDE. I tried re-running xf86config to get a new file and even tried a different keyboard and mouse, (had been using the Logitech duo) to no avail. Any brilliant ideas? This is really getting frustrating.

folding doesnt do both cpu's or shouldn't atleast unless its mutlithreaded..
goto console and type

cat /proc/cpuinfo

if you see 2 cpu's your golden

For packages in kde

emerge kpackage

then it should show up in K > System folder after a logout/loging..

:)

Yeah I'm pretty sure I got the smp thing right. I just gotta figure out why my mouse and keyboard stop responding about 15 seconds into KDE.... I have some leads with changing some nvidia driver settings in XF86Config, I'll let you know if they work.

OK... would switching from a uniprocessor kernel to an smp kernel cause Xfree86 to hate me and not like my keyboard/mouse? Might this be causing my keyboard/mouse freezes? unfortunattely I overwrote my old, uniprocessor, working kernel....

Back