• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what in the hell is going on

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Crash893

"The man in black fled across the desert,
okay veryyyyy frustraiting

i had to reinstall xp after i keep getting bsod after what i belive to be a bad vid driver install

okay so now i have a new indstall

everything acts fine while its running

then ill restart for some reason or nother

it will boot

start the xp bar

then disapear and give me a black screen with no backround but a working mouse some times it says it cant find lsll.exe

then i restart

then it boots

gets to xp

then restartes its self

then boots again and starts xp like there was never a problem in the world

anyidea this is really really getting to me

Can you boot into Safe Mode?
The only reference to lsll.exe has to do with Norton Ghost, but it's not clear.
I almost want to say it could be an error in your install media. Check to see if you can get into Safe Mode first.

Give us your system specs, then maybe we can help a little better. Is everything new? Have you added any new hardware recently. That is wierd behavior, a little more info would be helpful.

P.S. Go easy on the "Enter" key :)

yea sorry about the sudden enter syndrom

anyway the system is a 1ghz amd althlong with 256 pc2100 ddr ram 2 40 gig hdd all packed into a ga-7dx rev 2.2

this system is not overclocked becuase its sposed to be my stable system

i did a sfc /scannow and it didnt find anything or at least it didnt tell me it did i dont know if it spits out errors.

no system settings have change

i did flash the bios like a month ago but that dindnt affect the system from then till now so im pretty sure its unrelated

this helping any ( yea i know im doing the enter thing again)

I doubt it's the worm that was going around but you never know. If you can get into a stable session of XP do a search for msblast.* and if you find that file you've got the worm. When I had the worm it would only reboot after I logged on the internet (still have dialup for about a week while we wait for the cable guy to run it from the box in the alley). Thinking about it, I'd bet it's not the worm because that pops up a timer that tells you to save all files and reboot within 60 seconds, and does it without fail, not going to a stable session after reboots. Easiest thing would be to reinstall I think. May have been just one of the wonderful 'features' we all get with Windoze...

its not the virus

2 reasons

1)right now its not connected to the internet
2) while disconected i did a format and fresh install ( i also have avg running )

and for the record it donest reboot itself while in XP

only when part of the cycle that i stated above

do you think it could be a failing hdd

im getting a read error on the boot now

im suspect of c:\

CHA PAM

okay i found out what it was

you guessed it bad hdd

today after my like billionth xp install it booted to hdd read error please pres ctrl alt del to restart

rinse repeat

witched it out with my 160 that ive been saving for a diffrent project

works fine so far problem is that it only recongizes up to 127 on this mobo

damn shame its lost more than the other hdd lost ( a 40)

but im up and working so good has come of it

did already and no you can do bigger than 127 on this pirtular mobo even with a bios flash

also it seemes that my pa cha of victory was premature

i installed xp

did all the updates except sp1

then when i restarted bsod
and now

so now i got the enitre rig striped down to one known good stick of ddr ram 1 hdd and 1 video card and it just boots to the windows welcome screen ( like right before it gives you teh choise to pick a user)
and then stops it doesnt freze i can still move the mouse and stuff but it just doesnt ever come up with the choise to log on.

werid

could it be a fried mobo?

anyone i could really use some help with this

I doubt it's the motherboard if your mouse is still working and it gets that far. My dad's does that every so often but it freezes at random points while booting up. I tack it up to his crappy old ECS mobo but your problem may be different. If you can, try booting into safe mode and then shutting down and letting it restart by itself. If it asks if you want to restart in safe mode or from last known good config the second startup, just let the little timer run out. It sounds odd but that usually works for me.
Good luck:cool:

does the same thing in safemode

Have you tried a different IDE cable? Also, when was the last time you checked the thermal grease? Another idea is maybe the cd drive is failing or maybe your winxp cd has flaws in it...

ill try a new ide ribbion

i tried a xp cd my freind has just to see if there was a diffrence still does the same thing after a install

i noticed it looks like explorer.exe isnt starting

Back