• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2x512mb of buffalo with ch-5 wont do default?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

drewthomas14

alright i tested my board at 220fsb b4 i sold my ram. i got the new ram 2x512mb. i put the ram in the same slots i had the old stuff in. the first one and the last one. i tried 200fsb @ 2.7v 7,2,2,2.5 timings. it failed prime in 10min. that is default. i had multi at 10 and vcore at 1.75. i bought the ram retail and new from a that sells a lot of it at amdforums.com. i emailed him a couple times today just gotta wait for a response. what do you guys think?

curious, because i was thinking of buying some off him in the near future... i'll have to keep an eye on this thread...

*also i heard a few people talking about how his HEAT was perfect but now it's not... this was at [H]ard-Forums

after everything i have heard about experiences with ch-5 chips i'll probably go for bh-5 twinmos

i sold my trusty bh-5's:( only 2x256 i wanted to upgrade to a gig. hopefully i can get a full refund. then i'll just look into other ram.

I don't think the CH-5 can do the same tight timings as BH-5. Try 7-3-2-2.5 or 7-2-3-2.5, I can't remember which way. Or better yet, try 7-3-3-2.5.

But I think the CH-5 can get much higher fsb than the BH-5. I got mine (Twinmos 2x512mb, CH-5) up to 245fsb at 11-5-5-2.5, 2.8vDimm. For tighter timings, I got to 237fsb at 11-3-3-2.0, 2.8vDimm. This was Memtest86 stable overnight.

i was using default timings. anyway i found out one stick if messed up. 2000errors in test 5. tried it in 2 diff dimms(1st and last). the other stick im testing but it ran 10 runs of test 5 @215fsb and is running 8 right now.

buffalo needs LOTS of voltage :(
( said the guy stuck with an is7 and 2.8 max vddr )
it just might help to give those sticks some extra juice,
loose timings, then re-run memtest.
hope this helps

Default is 7-3-3-2.5 not 7-2-2-2.5... CH-5 is not even supposed to be able to do TRCD of 2 at all. Mine does it though.. it takes tons of voltage for TRCD of 2 to be possible.

i'm having similar troubles with some buffalo 3200 ch-5 (256mb sticks)
it wont do stock ( 200 @ 2.7v - 7-3-3-2.5)
my cpu (2500+) is set to 12.5 x 192 @ 1.925v

my old ram was some generic pc2100 and some samsung pc2700, 192 was the limit of the generic 2100... the buffalo 3200 wont run @ 192 @ 7-3-3-2.5 @ 2.9v...

it wont run 200fsb no matter WHAT i do:mad: :mad:
i tried it @ 2.9v @ 10-4-4-3 (also tried 10-4-4-2.5)
none of it will run

i know its not anything else in the system... the cpu will do 225fsb and the samsung pc2700 will do 205fsb by itself...
i have decent cooling (mcx462+ and 80mm tornado) on an 8rda (a3)

anyone else think its time to rma??
some mushkin 3200 lvl2 black sounds nice about now... :D

Last edited:
o sorry i had it at those timings. i ran memtest 86 all tests on the so called good stick. tried to run prime and it failed i one minute. umm i lowered some setting and am trying again.

damn... prime isnt running. it doesnt error but it's just not running. everything looks good but cpu usage is like 7%. im not running anything else in the background. you guys think this stick is bad even though i had it run all memtest86 tests for 8hrs?

If you get RAM that doesn't run stably at its default settings, be sure to test each stick alone with goldmemory software memory tester:

http://www.goldmemory.cz/

This program is really good. I had problems a few days ago with my computer always crashing after several minutes of use and I first thought it was the nforce2 drivers causing that trouble.
BUT, after a run of goldmemory, I found out that I had gotten a faulty stick of 256MB Twinmos/Winbond CH-5 RAM. The other 256MB stick of the same RAM is working fine.

From now on, I think I'm going to test each new stick of memory I get with goldmemory, prior to using i.e. overclocking it.;) And I recommend this procedure to everyone!

the sick ran for 8hrs at 215fsb @ 2.9v all test of memtest86. think it completed the tests about 2.5 times. prime just doesnt do anything anymore. it doesnt crash or fail, but it just sits there with low cpu usage.

downloaded the new beta prime. it ran no probelm at rated speed and at 205fsb. 210 didnt work. i dunno what's wrong with this stuff.

i tried it again at 7,3,3,2.5 timings @220fsb @ 2.8v . passed memtest 5 for about 1hr. still gotta find the prime limits.
edit: damnit cant even get 200fsb stable in prime. i heard that the pc3700 wasnt so good.

Last edited:
Back