• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Interesting... a true 1/2" block from Swiftech!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FIZZ3

Thought this might be interesting- Swiftech released the MCW5002, basically a MCW5000 but executed with 1/2" ID barbs.

It looks like there is a nice performance gain to be had over the MCW5000... take a look at those very familiar looking graphs! :)

http://www.swiftnets.com/products/mcw5002.asp

Spiffy block for large surface cooling IMO, as with Peltier cooling. Not bad!

pretty interesting. If you look at the graphs, It is only .01c/w That is probably close to 1c not too much.

EDIT---
"3T clip set AMD® socket A processors retention hardware, including: (2) clips, (2) unequal length springs, (2) 6-32x1" Philips screws. "
I wonder if they just got it right or if they had it like that the entier time and I just missed it?

Jon

JFettig said:
pretty interesting. If you look at the graphs, It is only .01c/w That is probably close to 1c not too much.

EDIT---
"3T clip set AMD® socket A processors retention hardware, including: (2) clips, (2) unequal length springs, (2) 6-32x1" Philips screws. "
I wonder if they just got it right or if they had it like that the entier time and I just missed it?

Jon

Unequal length springs have been used by MCW5000A. The shorter one is on the socket cam side. They are weak.

What happened to the angled inlet/outlet? Mcw rev2 and then the 5002. Swiftech is quite speedy :D

I saw that when I ordered my 5000a today, I decided against it because I thought the 5000a looked cooler :rolleyes: , and performance was about the same....they are the same price on their website.

Just picked mine up from Bill A. at the Swiftech facility along with ALOT of info on "how to do it right" - that guy really knows what he talks about.

I also specifically DID NOT see the next gen uber cool HSF unlike anything I have ever seen before and DID NOT get a peek at its performance...since IT DONT exist...nope...pure fantasy...

Gonna review it (MCW5002) against the Whitewater...anyone giving odds???

Swifty's always been a real excellent product but did it with sheer brute force...this new approach of B.A.'s is more elegant/efficient - but still a modification of an existing design.

I figure he has something planned for the future that, once the existing line has played out and all that, will be a radical departure from current designs.

As radical as the WW or the CC. But whaddaIknow :p

I have several different Swiftech blocks and quality has always been outstanding. The most current blocks for my dually are Swfitech MCW5000. They can be true 3/8" or 1/2" depending on how you set them up. If you use the integrated fittings you must use standard 3/8" OD tubing. You might assume that using 1/2" barb adapters makes it a converted 3/8" block but this is not the case. The plastic 1/2" adapters have such a large ID you can’t classify the block as an adapted 3/8" block. I don’t have a standard poly or brass 1/2" barb handy to measure but the ID cannot be much different than Swiftechs .4" ID barbed fittings. With the .4" ID fittings you don’t lose anything over a "true" 1/2" block.

If you didn’t notice the MCW5000 has improved since its conception. About a month ago Swiftech released revision 2 of this block. The change incorporates a "dropped deck" for a 1c improvement.

Ya know I just love my luck... I barely bought an MCW5000 and they release a new version... I also just barely bought a bayres, and now they have a revision 2 of that...

I shouldn't complain though, I am happy with both of my Swiftech blocks... no problems yet.

Outcast said:
Swifty's always been a real excellent product but did it with sheer brute force...this new approach of B.A.'s is more elegant/efficient - but still a modification of an existing design.

I figure he has something planned for the future that, once the existing line has played out and all that, will be a radical departure from current designs.

As radical as the WW or the CC. But whaddaIknow :p

I'm not so sure about the brute force aspect being refined here- after all this is basically the old design with more water flowing through it due to larger ID.

I've always regarded the Maze-like designs as the 'brute' approach. These designs are relatively easy and cheap to make and provide good performance with the use of copper and high flow rate. Swiftech at least employs pin/dimple designs.

Outcast said:
Gonna review it (MCW5002) against the Whitewater...anyone giving odds???
First, Welcome to the forums!

We know EXACTLY the performance of each block (MCW5002 and WW) from BillA's tests... the WW is .03 C/W better. On a CPU that puts out 100W that would make the WW better by 3C.
Your findings should be the same and if anything, knowing this data will let you find out how accurate or inaccurate your readings are. Make sure to perform MANY mounts of each block, at least 5 and take the average.

The MCW5000 and MCW5002 look to be great blocks. I have a pair of MCW462-UH blocks on my Xeons 2.4's (533 FSB), they do the job Quite Nicely.

The Swiftech gear is very nice. You can tell it's pretty much indestructable. A lot of metal goes into those blocks.

Just another person who likes swiftech.

wormwood said:
The MCW5000 and MCW5002 look to be great blocks. I have a pair of MCW462-UH blocks on my Xeons 2.4's (533 FSB), they do the job Quite Nicely.

The Swiftech gear is very nice. You can tell it's pretty much indestructable. A lot of metal goes into those blocks.

Just another person who likes swiftech.

Is that a dual Xeon? I think Swiftech is about as good as it gets for SMP machines. WW and Cascade are awesome but routing tubing for two blocks would be a big pain. Price is also a consideration especially when you have to buy for twins.

Back