• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

+12v at 13.25, that seems dangerously high....?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well, my computer is constantly running with 12V @ about 13V. Has done this for over a year with no casualties. Testet with a DMM as well, the voltage is at about 13V.

I have a few rigs with around 13 v..

I believe one is at 13.28, has a warning panel for it, says its in the yellow... but not red.

Cheers, Flix

A bad powersupply with a 12 volt rail at 13.06 volts (verified with multimeter) killed two of my mainboards the first casualty was an A7V333 which i just got around to RMA'ing and a MSI KT4, which didnt have a warrantee. I had found no other explanation because all other components were of high quality. Since finding this out, i have switched to an antec true power which has a 12 volt rail hovering around 12.02 Volts, and I have had no problems since.

Last edited:
You should verify that reading with a multimeter and if it's really in the 13v range, I would go back to the store/vendor and ask them to switch it with something else.

A power supply could easily fry your components, I know that before I adjusted my pots a bit too much and it would turn off the system the moment I pressed the button since it sent the rails through the roof.

PS: You never mentioned what PSU you were using or your system specs - they would help a lot since a bios update may fix some readings.

I just realized that I'm usually in the 12.85 range, and occasionally @ 13v :( I think its the psu because it came with the case I have. it's rated at 420w but the whole case, and psu were only like 60 bucks. I guess I should double check with a multimeter before I start shopping for a new one though right?
sorry to hijack :)

KrK said:
According to the BIOS readings, my 12v line is running 13.25 volts. That seems pretty high to me, any comments?
:eek:

Just two comments. First, assuming in this world you can't get a PSU with exactly 12v on the 12v rail, better a bit over than a bit under. Second, I've heard many people say that when they tweak their PSU to up the 5v, the 12v drops. If your 5v is a bit low then maybe you could tweak it up and lower your 12v at the same time. Two tweaks for the price of one.

Well if your running +12V @ 13 that means that your -12 is running at -11 so it is just a baseline error in your PSU...It could just be a cheap PSU lol

My +12 is at 11.98....that's nothing to worry about right? I mean, .02 is well within the tolerance of everything and anything?

-Jeff

My 12v floats in the 11.7v to 11.8v range. 11.98v is nothing to worry about at all.

Any news with the multimeter, KrK?

Oh, and eobard, when did you get the green stars? They look good on you LOL

Back