• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is There A Way i can control The Internet Bandwidth in my Home network?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stonehhh5

Registered
for example, im playing a game online and suddenly someone starts to download something and i start to get up to a thousand ping. Is there a utility to control the bandwidth or to set a certain computer to get priority?

Well, there are free ways to do this. My question for you - Do you have a router/switch, or some sort of Linux/Windows server controlling routing? If you have the latter, there are many programs available for free which can manage network traffic, and limit the amount of upstream or downstream bandwith you wish to allow. If it was the former, then I do not know of a way without a Level 3 switch.

If you want something that does a good job for free then download clark connect home 2.0. Once installed do an apt-get install bandwidth and you will have a bandwidth control program which is configurable from the web interface. Simply specify each computer's IP address and the amount of bandwidth you want each to have.

Hmmm.. all the programs I've seen so far that let you manage bandwidth usage on a per PC basis, require that you have a PC as the gateway.

I wonder if anyones actually programmed something that gets installed on all home PCs and has a "admin" console to control all the PCs. I mean, you can change bandwidth on a PC by changing some TCP/IP settings, or by using a program that will "throttle" down the connection speed. So why not be able to control that program from a different PC on the same home network?

Because the bandwidth has to be controlled by the machine that is controlling the flow of data to each machine. You can mess with the tcp stack on individual machines, but that's not going to work as well.

If you are going to try to force it on the individual machines, the people using those machines may just wise up and turn it off. Not to mention you multiply the number of places you'd have to go to manage it.

Yep you're best off controlling the bandwidth as close to the source as possible - and that would be your local gateway.

Unfortunetly, my local gateway is a standalone. I can't afford to run too many computers 24/7, especially now that thier saying the prices of electricity are going to go up so that the electric companies can upgrade the power grid after the blackout. :mad:

It sucks when I'm playing BF1942 and all of a sudden my ping sky rockets from 30ms to 1000+ cause one of the other PCs access the internet. It would be great if I could just click a button on my PC and automagically force the other PCs that are on to throttle down thier connection. I'm the only one that knows anything about computers here, so setting up such a software would be no problem, not to mention easier for me then setting up a Linux box.

Now that I'm typing this, I just remember that there was a gateway/router that allowed one to setup bandwidth restrictions. I wonder if its still around, or if other gateways do that too.

Mpegger said:
Unfortunetly, my local gateway is a standalone. I can't afford to run too many computers 24/7, especially now that thier saying the prices of electricity are going to go up so that the electric companies can upgrade the power grid after the blackout. :mad:

It sucks when I'm playing BF1942 and all of a sudden my ping sky rockets from 30ms to 1000+ cause one of the other PCs access the internet. It would be great if I could just click a button on my PC and automagically force the other PCs that are on to throttle down thier connection. I'm the only one that knows anything about computers here, so setting up such a software would be no problem, not to mention easier for me then setting up a Linux box.

Now that I'm typing this, I just remember that there was a gateway/router that allowed one to setup bandwidth restrictions. I wonder if its still around, or if other gateways do that too.

Thats nothing.

in a game of Renegade I hit a 7800+ping, turns out something got funky between the server and me, but still..I'm on 2.5mbs broadband for crying out loud!

Back