• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Popup h311! HELP!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zerileous

A friend of mine got a new computer recently and a DSL connection through SBC. He gets an insane ammount of non-browser related popups that just happen with out navigating to a site and even when there is no browser up. It interferes with gaming, watching DVDs and is just a real pain in the arse. Overnight there were almost 50 popups. I have tried everything i know, trendmicro virus scan(housecall), adaware 6, and spybot S&D. I know there is some form of unwanted software causing this but i cant find it. BTW he is an active user of kazaa lite++

L337 M33P, could you explain the removal of the messenger service to be in a bit more detail please (sorry for jumping on thread buddy)

Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services

Find the service called "Messanger". Right click, and select stop. Next, double click, and set startup type to Disabled.

That will stop the messanger service, which those spammers use to send you pop-ups. Also, like 1337 M33P said, download a firewall to secure your computer.

JigPu

ok, its kazaa lite k++ which has no spyware or popups, this happens even when its not running anyhow. These are not messenger syle popups, they are normal internet explorer popups along with the occational program requesting you to let it download itself onto your computer. The irony is that a quarter of the popups are infact advertising popup blockers (which are all BS im sure). O yeah, he already has the free version of ZoneLabs.

OMFG!! Finally.... FINALLY!!!! Thank you!!!

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!!!!

Wooooooo Hoooooo!!!!!

I have called Dell Computers and Comcast once a week to get rid of this stupid Pop-Up messenger service problem! They have not been able to help me at all. I have deleted all my cookies, temporary pages, and a ton of other stuff. My friend even formatted his hard drive and it still came back!

THANK YOU!!

Finally I can be rid of this frikken horrible pop-up. That was soooooo frusterating. I searched my entire hard drive so many different ways to look for a program that I thought was a virus. Dude, Seriously. This was one of the most helpfull tips I have gotten. I'll make sure I'll pass this on.

(I don't know if it works yet, but it looks like this is the source of the problem.)

P.S. Is there anything bad about disabling this?

TommyHolly said:
P.S. Is there anything bad about disabling this?

No, it's intended for use on trusted networks/LANs (which the internet is NOT :p ).

BTW, I use "hijackthis" at work (and home) to scan the registry for unwelcome pests... not only does it help clean the registry and stop unwanted items from starting up, but it will give you an idea for file locations if you have to delete them manually (if they don't show up in the add/remove programs list).

I'm using spybot less and less nowadays as it's next to impiossible to keep up with the latest adware 'trends'. Learning their tricks certainly helps, not downloading junk helps A LOT. :cool:

Back