• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

super simple minimalistic cheap 7v/12v switch

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TetsuOH

Registered
i wanted to make a 7v/12v switch but most of the plans and stuff out there that i could build myself or buy were pretty messy when it came to wiring and i really only wanted to be able to switch from 7-12 vice versa i didnt want 5v-12v adjustable rheos as anything below 7 doesnt really make it quieter.

So i set out to do it on my own and came up with this super simple minimalistic switch design what it ended up as is a DPDT switch wired using cat3 underground as its nicely sheathed and controls the wires and it also has just enough wires (4) so here is a diagram

12v_7v_switch.jpg
its a pretty crude drawing but it gets the job done if anyone uses it let me know how it works out for you

materials list
1 DPDT on-on switch
some wiring
soldering iron or crimpers and connectors if you dont like to solder
spare molex you can chop up

so all you really do is run the two middle terminals to your molex as in the diagram and make sure you connect the 12v to where the 12v should be and connect the 5v/ground wire right beside the 12v on the molex then connect the 12v line from your psu to the 2 top outside terminals and your 5v and ground to the 2 bottom outside terminals once your done mount it wherever and connect your fans if your fans dont have a splitter on them just go pick up some y connectors

you can just use a spdt switch and attach the 12v line strait to the fan. That is what i did for my voltage siwtch, it worked really well.

Back