• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

duron

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

malbolgia

Registered
should i get a 600mhz which i read in the cdpu database to be the most overclockable
or go with the new 900

If you can find an early DURON 600, code "AKBA". Should be less than $50.00. I think that you'll get more bang for your buck, and "should" hit 1000MHz, I've got two of them at, or over 1.1gig

my akba 600 is a sweetie! 1100 aircooled, 1150 when peltier-cooled.

one thought though, i haven't seen any overclocking reviews of the 900, so i'm not sure how it does overclock. if the duron line of procs is going to be going to 1.2ghz for instance, then the new 900 might be to durons what the 1ghz axias are to tbirds.. just a thought...

Proze hit the nail on the head. AMD doesn't release new Duron steps nearly as much as new Tbirds, so the 900 may represent a better architecture or tighter process control point. From my reading, I have was not impressed with the steps up from the original 600. It is truly the best bang-for-buck CPU investment available. Think about it. a CPU that does 1Ghz for $40.00! Still, the attraction of the 900 tantilizes the imagination.

Hoot

I've got a 650 that hit 1100 when my office was cool. Now that it's getting to be summer it's more like 1020mhz. Invest in some good cooling like a good HSF, case fans, arctic silver, and some other stuff.

Back