• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

This is a test drive...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

andz

Registered
And finally I did it. Could not wait for the temp sensors (MS-6167 Has no monitor hardw. chipset)... Took my ol' horse from 550Mhz to 650. With same heatsink/fan as out of the box, plus a couple other fans here and there. Now, question, any ideas as to how far can I push my Athlon slot A (25 micron) without upgrading the hsf????? OOPPSSS forgot to mention that the method I used with my ol' horse is the "resistors" one described in "Tom's Hardware"...

andz (Apr 21, 2001 08:18 p.m.):
And finally I did it. Could not wait for the temp sensors (MS-6167 Has no monitor hardw. chipset)... Took my ol' horse from 550Mhz to 650. With same heatsink/fan as out of the box, plus a couple other fans here and there. Now, question, any ideas as to how far can I push my Athlon slot A (25 micron) without upgrading the hsf????? OOPPSSS forgot to mention that the method I used with my ol' horse is the "resistors" one described in "Tom's Hardware"...

OC'ing without temp measurement isn't a total disaster, as you mentioned. I started OC'ing with my 500MHz athlon with the standard dual fan cooler. Got an GFD, ready for action. I went to 700 with it on standard voltage (1.6v, just like yours). Should be no temp problem, just remember to keep your HSF greased and you willll be fine. I measured temp with my hand, most of the time I runned it open case. You've taken care for good case airflow? Than there should be really no problem. Be aware that raising voltage (to stabilize) will increase temps dramatically, so it will be no option for you to gain stability, as you CPU will run only more hot and be more instable etc. etc. etc.

I tried a GORB, it was a disaster, don't do it, they SUCK! The big lump of aluminium blocks heattransfer, your CPU will run quite hot. I did 750 at 1.75V with the GORB, it was quite warm. 800 at 1.8V would stall within minutes, I didn't dare to go higher. Then watercooling entered the arena! Did 750 at 1.65V rockstable, same for 800 at 1.8V (1.75 instable after a moment). All at 1/2 cache. Can do 850 1.9V with 2/5 cache, but I settle for the 800. Want to enjoy this CPU a little while longer :)

succes with your athlon!

p.s. I run SETI 24/7 on this one, no (degradation) problems (yet)...

The truth is that I HAD TO increase the voltage. Just .05volts were enough for it to become stable. I know I can push it farther, but the smd resistors I have at hand are way larger than those found on the Atlon slot A board. Just posted a few minutes ago about it. Yes, I'm looking for a source of that particular size of smd resistors. AMD's are like 1/4 W and mine are like 1W.
I have done NOTHING to the cache settings and believe I will not have to if I stick to this "resistors positioning" trick... Am I right????? oh, by the way, thanks for the post , Mr. Murphy

Back