• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

cutting torch

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
well if you have your case painted already it can scorch the edges but i think you might want to cut the holes just a little bit smaller and sand and file hem to the correct size

precisely. Torches, plasma cutters, etc.....I think laser cutters are the only "power cutters" that won't leave a mark on your paintjob. Thing is, you can easily slip with a dremel, which can muck up the paint job even more in the right circumstances....lol...oh yea, btw, if you use a dremel, draw your cut lines in black marker and then lay down masking tape along the lines....you won't ruin the paint around the edges then, and if you slip a little bit it's that much less that you will have ruined, hehe.

If you plan on painting your case, than go ahead. But if you like the paint job as it is, you will have to use either a dremel or a laser cutter......or a water jet. PM 64Thunderbolt about his waterjet, lol. I haven't seen him around much lately......he does a lot of custom work, and he does case sides too. All you need to do is work out payment, send him the design and your case panel, and he'll get it to you nice and finished. Captain Slug had the side panel of his BomberMan case done by Charlie....anyway, if he doesn't respond to PMs, check out www.liquidthundercreations.com, it's his website. He does this part time, and he has turned out some EXCELLENT work with that water cutter of his.

As for size constraints of a torch.....I don't think that even the most lengthy designs would drain a can of fuel....it's just a side panel, heh. If you're worried, I would ask the person you buy the fuel from about how long it lasts when cutting steel (assuming you have the right gas/o2 mix running the whole time).

Thanks for all your replies. I never thought of the possibility that the metal may just warp. Plus using a torch may be a fire hazard if I'm using it in a house ;-)

I'll just stick to the tried and true Dremel and jigsaw methods.

first blow holes i cut in my first case, i did with a cutting torch, warped it all to crap :( first lesson learned the hard way

I've only used in oxy-acl. torch to cut stuff like 1/2 inch thick steel and can say that it takes lots of practice and knowledge to use it correctly and safely. I recomend you stick withe the Dremel inless you know what your doing. If the Dremel works for 98% of modders out there, chances are it'll work for you too. ;)

Back