• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Must keep computer clean, must!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TollPhree

Side note...

I Norten Wipe all files... i dont wan recoverd =D ... shhhh

I have also Sweeped old trash stuff ( that I didnt burn )

But the program I used ran up, its over I cant use it anymroe, so how can I make sure nothing is recoved is buring enouf? Im talking about websites too

I dont really downalod anything bad, but I used have ALOT OF ... music files... of a ... ok anyway I had alot and was on kazar and I dunno im a bit worried about getting in trouble some day for somthign dumb having computer searched and them busting me on that ... I know soudns dumb but Im a weary person, and I dont wana give anyone a way to get me know what I eman? so how do I make sure eveyrthing is deleted forever BWAHAHA

thanks +_D

Well, I highly doubt that anyone like the RIAA will go as far as trying to recover files. They get their evidence by looking at what you share. If you are paranoid, either don't use Kazaa, or don't share anything. Almost anything can be recovered from a harddisk, no matter how much you wipe it. If someone has enough money and time, they can get almost anything recovered. Wipe tools just mask it enough that it isn't worth the amount of effort.

If you didn't see it earlier, you might be interested in Crash's old thread: http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=157930&highlight=acid
Interesting read, but nothing that I would actually do.

Here's what download.com came up with for wipe tools:
http://download.com.com/3120-20-0.html?qt=file+wipe&tg=dl-2001&search=+Go!+

look into Spybot search and destroy.
Free and it has the ability to wipe files, as well as ger rid of spyware and keep your travles on the internet a little more private.

thanks, well tahts what wories me I used share alot of midi files, and i heard of a few people aught form sharing, =D I stoped now, I mean I dont buy cds anymore its just to much cash I knwo its wrong but *shrug* K thanks I will read the thread lol I know im being paroanoid but I dunno it still worries me

If you have a WD or Maxtor HDD you can use the software that came with it. They both give you the option to write 0's to the drive. Just make sure you do the full write. Do this 2 or 3 times and it will take a lot of $$ to get any of the data back. Reinstall windows and you are good.

Of course, back up anything you want to keep though (like the legal music, word files, etc). Everything will be gone!

if you full write 0s to the hardrive... maybe im crazzzy but there would be no way to recover the infomation =-D or am I crazzy?

TollPhree said:
if you full write 0s to the hardrive... maybe im crazzzy but there would be no way to recover the infomation =-D or am I crazzy?
If you overwrite something on the harddrive, there still exists a "ghost" image of what was once there. It's easily recoverable by any data recovery center, and even some specialized software. Further overwriting makes it alot harder, but not impossible, to recover.

IIRC, the US DoD, when they throw out media, they overwrite it with: 1's, 0's, 10101010's and Random, all 7 times over.

Even then, it's not completely erased, but the cost to retrieve it is so high, and the amount of data that would be recoverable, wouldn't be worth it.

su root said:

If you overwrite something on the harddrive, there still exists a "ghost" image of what was once there. It's easily recoverable by any data recovery center, and even some specialized software. Further overwriting makes it alot harder, but not impossible, to recover.

IIRC, the US DoD, when they throw out media, they overwrite it with: 1's, 0's, 10101010's and Random, all 7 times over.

Even then, it's not completely erased, but the cost to retrieve it is so high, and the amount of data that would be recoverable, wouldn't be worth it.

If it needs to be more secure than this the DoD will take hard drives apart and destroy the platters, in addition to the DoD wipe!

Back