• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hard Drive Kooler or just fan?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mad Butter

Hey guys...I got a new WD SE 80GB hard drive coming in soon...And with that is going another 40GB...Does a hard drive kooler realy protect or make your hard drive live longer??? I was going to buy one...But I dont have any computer stores around me...But I do have a extra 80mm fan hanging around...Could I just use that instead to kool both of them?? And how should I mount it?? I only have one fan..Should I make it so the fan sucks out the hot air or blow on the hard drives?? Thanks guys...

Harddrives really don't need their own coolers, all you need is good air flow in the case. I do have a HD cooler on one of my harddrives. It's made for it as it mounts on the bottom and blows air up. It has 2 small fans. If you have a extra fan why not use it. Suck in cool air and blow it across both HD's

I have never put a HD cooler on any drive that I have owned and have never had one go down due to heat. As long as you have good air flow in your case, I don't feel they are necessary. I would not put a fan in front of one either. I don't want more heat blowing toward my system parts.

Back