• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

micron ram

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

unreal

Registered
i was alwasy under the impression that micron ram was good ram, i havent seen a thing on micron for overclokcing at all.... they al;so have a lifetime warrenty on there ram, and seemed to be good...

Micron does make very good ram. That's not the same as making very fast ram though. Micron ram is great if you want chips that are widely compatible, very reliable, and fully guaranteed by the manufacturer. They're not so good if you want ram with a really large number on the label that might work at its rated speed in your motherboard.

Of course, Micron has made some overclockable ram too. The original Micron PC2100 was the king of overclocked DDR in 2001.

Micron/Crucial RAM is high quality and preforms very well. Most sticks overclock mildly or run at lower timings than specified, but don't expect massive overclocks unless you get a lucky stick.

Oh yeah, my Crucial 256stick pc2100 (7.5ns) does 198 with normal timings (6-3-3-2.5) and 210 with loose timings and a little voltage boost. (boards max FSB). Bought it off of pinky if I recall, ages ago. Sold it's partner because it only did 195 or so with normal timings, and at the time my secondary rig didnt need 512megs.

I'm running 2x256 of pc2100 from Crucial at 180fsb with some pretty loose timings of 8-4-4-3. I will be trying to find a max soon, but I just went to 180 after being at 160 for a few days. This is running in DC also. Just my $.02

Agreed with what the above people had to save. Micron is more of a reliable ram than an overclockable ram. I have 3x256mb of Crucial PC2100 in my system and it runs fine at 2-2-2-5-2 and has been for the last year or so. Just don't expect to overclock it as hard as you would with other brands of memory. Crucial, who makes the hand picked Micron ram has very good customer service and makes very good stable ram. It was really popular in 2001 when their PC2100 ram was able to hit 166+ fsb with cas 2.

Now they're just known as pretty stable ram. If you're looking for extreme overclocking, I think you should refer to other types of ram.

Back