• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sub box, new sub?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KaHNZa

I have an Optimus sub in a box with a builtin crossover. The box is ported but I don't know if its tuned to a particular frequency. Could I remove the 12in. sub and put a different one in there without any problems. I'm almost a little scared to open the box. :eek:

One thing to note is that sub boxes are usually designed to handle a specific sub. There are special formulas and whatnot to get the right enclosure and make it sound perfect. If you aren't a total audiophile you can probably get away with just replacing the sub. Make sure you match the impedence and met or exceed the current power handling capabilites or it may not work properly.

As far as the crossover goes this may throw some issues into the mix. Probably not cause the reason for a crossover is to drop the higher frequencies and let all the good boom go to the sub. If you can manually adjust the crossover then no problems.

BTW I just replaced a stock sony sub with a new MTX sub and I think it sounds better.

As well, why would you replace it unless it's broken?

I'd be replacing an Optimus sub with a higher power handling Pioneer. And the Pioneer has a lower frequency response. ;)

MORE SUB=MORE AMP........ how big is your amp. if you start puttin high power subs together with a puny amp its gonna sound WORSE than what you have now. ill break it down for ya,... more sub power=usually means bigger stronger magnets. this means it takes more power to counteract the magnets effects. also means if you can give it the extrapower the sound will tighten up.

Dartor is right. Subs sound like crap if they're not in the right enclosure. So if you're going to get a new sub you need to get a new enclosure as well.

The Pioneer sub is already in an enclosure. It just doesn't have the built-in crossover. Basically what the Optimus has a deal so that you run the right and left channels into the sub, and then there are outputs for 2 speakers to run the mids and highs. All the Pioneer has is a single hookup. Thats why I wanted to put the Pioneer in the Optimus box.

Back