• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

help me build a budget rig

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

batboy

Senior Moment
Hey, I'm sort out of the loop on AMD stuff, last AMD rig I built was a 900 Thunderbird. Been building a lot of kick butt P-4 systems lately. But... I have a friend that wants a very cheap system. We have recycled spare parts from cast off systems and have everything except a decent mobo and CPU.

I've heard good things about the nForce chipsets and the XP1700+ looks like a solid performer. She is not a gamer, but does wants a system that has some longevity. We will probably do some modest overclocking, but she wants to use stock cooling to keep it quiet.

This is a tight budget rig, that's why I'm asking for your assistance. Need recommendations on a no frills mobo. We don't want something junky, but it does need to be inexpensive. I see Abit has a NF7... are there better choices in that price range? What about the CPU? Thanks in advance.

The Abit NF7-S Rev2 is a really popular choice... Just looking around the forum at people's sig shows how popular it is and it's definitely a good motherboard whether it will be used for extreme overclock or just stock.

The 1700+ is a nice chip and it's fairly cheap, if you got just a tad more cash to spare, the 2500+ Barton would probably be a good long term investment.

The NF7-S is still a fairly expensive board. Maybe you should look bad at the KT333 boards which are some what hard to find but you should save a lot of cash. I mean, if you'll be running Bartons (166fsb stock), then the KT333's 1/5 divider will keep everything in spec and it's cheap.

Just an idea.

It depends largely on what the budget is. The Abit NF7 is considered the best nForce2 board. It provides the most options in voltages, etc, and overclocks the best generally.

But for less extreme overclocking, there are other some other viable options. An nForce2 is not crucial, if you can put up with a 185mhz or below fsb, which shouldn't be a problem. The Abit AT7 Max can be had for $65 at excaliber. If you take this option, you can go a little cheaper on the memory as well, since PC2700 will be all that's necessary.

The best choice for a CPU would have to be the guaranteed DUT3C 1700+ at Gameve. While it doesn't overclock as well as the acclaimed DLT3C's, it should definitely do the job.

The stock AMD hsf is nothing better than a paperweight... It also wouldn't be the best low noise solution either. The above processor is OEM anyways. A Thermalright SK7 paired with a Panaflo L1A would probably be your best bet for cooling.

The Abit NF7-S is a very good board as is the ASUS A7N8X Delu8xe because with both you can save money on firewire and sata controllers.

However if she isn't that interested in performance and overclocking then you may also want to consider the KT600 boards. While they don't offer the performance the nforce2 does they do offer most of the features that you can find on high end P4 boards for a low price.

The ASUS A7V600 comes with a wifi slot, gigabit lan, sata raid, only thing it doesnt have is firewire. The KT600 boards also lack a pci/agp lock and arent so good for fsb overclocking.

OVerall I think the best choice is the NF7-S for price, performance and features.

The 1700+ is a good choice, and a moderate oc on it can be 2ghz lol. Overclocking though wont happen on the stock cooler. I suggest an SK7 with a 30cfm or lower 80mm fan will probably get you to 2ghz with a good stepping 1700+.

If she doesnt need firewire or sata but still wants the performance I have been very impressed with the Shuttle AN35Ultra which I have ( i got it for 63$ but now its 77$ at newegg).

I posted this in another thread, with some minor change:

This would be my list today to deliver performance, stability and potential overclockabilty:

1. NF7-S rev 2.0, for the dual channel + CPU interface boost of memory bandwidth to 95% efficiency, FSB 200 minimum

2. Barton 2500+ (lower power for same system performance compared to 1700+, not chasing last % of CPU raw power).
Tbred B 1700+ DLT3C would be fine too for more overclocking fun in CPU (raw CPU power and MHz).

3. SK7 for best price-performance
or
SLK-800U (if wanting to pay little more), not merely becasue it cools CPU by 1-3 C more but because it cools the CPU surrounding area (including Vcore regulator) a little better due to HS structure from the air flow from the CPU fan
- plus a low noise fan (mainly for quietness) or adjustable higher CFM fan (for overclocking)

4. preferably TwinMOS 3200 256 MB x 2 or 512MB x 2 for tight timing (5/6-2-2-2), price and overclockability. Other PC3200 would be fine, as long as it does your target FSB at CAS 2.

5. Two WD 8 MB cache 80 GB (or higher) to run RAID0 w/ SATA + parallel to serial converter, or a $20 RAID card (such as silicon image)

6. video card: Depends on games, dual display, TV add on, ...??

Last edited:
most important question should of been asked, but here goes...
How much is she willing to spend on this system (amd type)?

MAXTOP Model# CSX-7788KEA (SILVER) w/350W P4 READY POWER SUPPLY, FRONT USB - RETAIL
Specifications: Dimensions: 7.75”W x 17”D x 18.75”H $47.00
Soltek Motherboard for AMD Processors, NVIDIA nForce2 (IGP + MCP2), Model SL-75MRN-L Retail
Specifications: Supported CPU: AMD Athlon XP / Athlon / Duron processor Chipset: NVIDIA nForce2 (IGP + MCP2)
FSB: 333/266/200 MHz, Dual Channel DDR SDRAM @ *400/333/266 MHz $96.00

AMD Athlon XP 2100+/266 FSB Thoroughbred Processor CPU 2100+/ 1.73GHz -OEM, AXDA2100DUT3C
Specifications: CPU: 1.73 GHz
Type: 2100 XP Thoroughbred (revision B)
Cache: 256K BUS: 266MHz
Micron: .13 Socket A (PGA) OEM (Processor Only) $66.00
GEIL DDR RAM 512MB PC-3200 Value 400MHz Ultra- CAS 2.5, 2T Command
GL5123200B Value. DDR400, CAS 2.5, 184 Pin Dimm, 6 Layer PCB,
Aluminum Heat Spreader, bulk pkg - Lifetime Warranty. $87.00
NEC 1.44MB Floppy Drive FD1231H-304/FD1231H-305 - OEM, DRIVE ONLY Specifications: Form Factor:3.5"
Disk Speed: 300 rpm Number of Tracks: 160 $7.00

WD WESTERN DIGITAL "SPECIAL EDITION" 80GB 7200RPM EIDE HARD DRIVE MODEL # WD800JB - OEM, DRIVE ONLY
Specifications: Size: 80 Gigabytes Interface: IDE ULTRA ATA100
Seek time: 8.9ms RPM:7200 Cache 8MB 3 Year Manufacturer Warranty $85.00

Lite On 48x24x48x16 CDROM/CDRW/DVD Combo Drive LTC-48161H - $57.99
Subtotal: $ 445.99
Tax: $.00

Shipping and Handling charge*: $25.00
Total: $ 470.99

that amd xp2100 is a TBred B, and will most likely run default 166FSB @Default vcore, 2158MHz (166x13).
Mobo is soltek and vary stable with 1x512mb geilram, and it's already ddr400, so you can tell here that her board is ready to be upgraded when she's ready to. 80GB HD w/8mb cache is a good thing and under 100.00. mobo has the built in nic, geforce4 mx, and audio... she wants it nice and simple and this would do her wonders reading all them email and the likes!
good luck.

If one wants simple, budget price, ready to go (no time to buy parts and build), I helped a college student picked a system for college use, with monitor and color printer in bestbuy last week for $580 (after rebate):

Complete system includes

AMD Tbred B 2600+ (166 FSB) (quiet)
512 MB memory (probably PC2700)
120 GB HD ultra ATA (probably is ATA 100)
DVD
CD RW
case, keyboard, mouse, speaker, USB, network, sound, XP home, ...
17 in flat screen monitor (acceptable quality)
Lexmark color printer (acceptable quality)

Last edited:
there's no joy in going to best-lies and getting a system for which you have no clue where all them parts came from...
always, as the saying goes, know what you're buying and be prepared to pay for it.

Yes, the point could be argued that it was nearby, and better for the consumer who has no idea what a PC does. But, if the buyer, is having a PC built from scratched, then why go to the local retail store and get ripped?

She has a budget of about $175 or so for the mobo and CPU (actually about $200, but I need $25 for labor). Do not need Firewire or SATA, but it would be nice for future upgrades. On-board LAN would be good.

Yeah, I'd heard before that the stock AMD coolers were sort of worthless, but I had kind of forgot about that fact. I have a good socket 370 GlobalWin heatsink, don't some of those fit socket A too? If not, then a SK7 might be in order.

We both looked at the reviews and read some forum posts about the Abit NF7-S and are impressed. Newegg has it for $111 shipped. The XP 1700+ OEM is $47 shipped. The Barton XP 2500+ OEM is $85 shipped.

Looks like we can get the sweet NV7-S and the 1700+ or a cheaper mobo and the 2500+. I think a good mobo is important, then you can upgrade to a better CPU later if the 1700+ don't have enough zoom for her.

Thanks a lot, good info here that saved me lots of time researching on my own. We already have an used case and Antec 350 watt power supply, floppy drive, 40 gig 7,200 RPM IBM HDD, CD-ROM, older CD burner, GF3 vid card, Soundblaster PCI-128, and best of all... 2 sticks of 256 meg PC3500 RAM. She's also just going to use her old 15" monitor, keyboard and mouse for now.

Now knowing the situation, you only need a motherbaord + CPU + HSF.

Get a Nf7-(S) rev 2.0 to take advantage of the PC3500 x 2. The motherboard comes with sound and network.
SK7 ($15) + fan ($10).
Either a 1700+ or a 2500+ is fine, 1700+ being chepaer, 2500+ being cooler for same system performance.

Last edited:
Just so you know the onboard audio on the NF7-S will beat the crap out of a Soundblaster PCI128.

As for the cooler, only if its all copper, but yes S370 and S462 heatsinks are completely compatible. But the PIII's and the Athlons are whole different stories when it comes to heat output.

Also the 1700+ should have plenty of zip for what she needs, if not there is always overclocking :).

Epox 8RDA+ Rev 1.1 or higher is a very nice NForce2 board, almost as good as the Abit NF7-S and much cheaper (it's $79 at Newegg.com!). It has firewire, usb 2, and soundstorm*. Its only shortcoming is that only the Rev 2.0/2.1 has VDD adjust, and the northbridge cooler is not great for FSB overclocking (nothing a copper Iceberq can't fix).

*It is not officially listed as SoundStorm because in order to be SoundStorm certified the motherboard must have a digital audio output, which the 8RDA+ does not. It uses the same MCP-T southbridge that the NF7-S, A7N8X-D, etc. have.

Thanks Funnydude, if the on-board sound on the NV7-2 is decent, that's a nice bonus. This heatsink ain't copper, but it was very good in it's day. It's lapped and modded for an 80mm fan. Gotta be lots better than the stock cooler. Think we will try the XP1700+ and think we will do a modest overclock too (I might play with it a bit when I'm setting it up just to see what it'll do).

I see newegg has a refurb Abit AT7 Max2 for only $59... hmmmm.

Are you going to be overclocking at all? Newegg is giving out T-Bred As which don't overclock as good as T-Bred Bs (These are the chips that are hitting 2.5 ghz). Excaliber PC.com is probably the best place to buy chips if you want guaranteed T-Bred Bs.

The NF7-S is a very good board. If you want to be overclocking then I'm sure you'll probably take the NF7-S due to the locked PCI Bus etc so your friend won't have to worry about corruption as long as the memory is good.

Thanks Yo-Yo dude. We plan on doing a "modest" overclock. Looks like I'll recommend the NF7-S and XP1700+. Is the 1700+ a T-bird? If so, how can you tell the "A" from the "B"? Sorry for the AMD ignorance. Also, I've seen PS say they are AMD compatible... how do I tell if this older PS is compatible? I know it don't have the extra P-4 connector.

As long as it is powerful enough it is AMD compatible, you should be fine with the 350Watt one.

As for the 1700+. It is a Tbred, not tbird, tbirds are the old ceramic ones. If you want a good oc then its recommended you get a tbred b from a store that guarantees you will get one.

Ok, thanks for clearing that up, I've been on the Intel side for so long that I feel like a total noob with AMD right now. I really should hang around in here more and keep up to date on AMD a little better.

Ok, so the XP1700+ is a T-Bred not a T-Bird. If she orders from newegg.com I'm assuming there's a good chance of getting the "A" instead of the "B"? I'll tell her that, but I suspect she really won't care, since we will not be doing anything hardcore.

Thanks again, I'll keep y'all posted if I get the green light to build this system. I'm sure I'll have more questions at some point.

I'd suggest getting it from Gameve. They guarantee a T-Bred B, for only a couple of bucks more. It may not matter much in real-world performance, though, espcially in light usage. The refurbed AT7 looks like a steal, too.

Back