• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Water Cooling....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

koojoe

Registered
Obviously the subject is so vague... you may be curious to look in this message.

Why do people choose watercooling? I think it goes back to the desire to create and build, which would let you go somewhere no one would think of going... such as liquid nitro.

I think it was fun at the time but its too expensive for the people like me. I don't know if watercooling will ever go mainstream; what do you guys think?

I remember how excited I was to tear open my goodies and begin leak testing. The most rewarding part of the whole deal was being able to build a shroud, and mod your case to fit the stuff. Reminds me of the days when legos were the cool thing.

Anyway...
Cheers
:rolleyes:

Last edited:
I did it to get my temps down for Overclocking, and because I saw it and said....hey that looks cool as hell. :D

Too many reasons to name...
It's much quieter.
More unique... even today, some 'tech' friends have never seen a WC setup before.
Much more effective cooling, allows for a higher OC.
Constantly changing...

I went water cooling cause its the only way i can cool my cpu w/o a fan. It also helps your oc when you do standard water cooling and your temps are lower supposedly prolonging the life of your cpu (which will live past the point of obscelesence anyway). Mainstream water cooling is still a little ways off, but the power/area ratio is approaching the limit of traditional heatsink technology. Eventually they'll have no choice but liquid cooling.

You could go fanless but only with something like a chiller for the rad/reserve. I've seen an article on a guy who had copper tubes the length of this garage on the cool concrete... run fanless.

Generally, yes you will have a fan. But with a 120 mm fan the noise levels will be lower at lower rpms.

Cheers

Yeah, if you look on the front page a couple people have posted articles about passive cooling. But in general watercooling provides better cooling, lower sound levels, etc.

"you still need a fan even if you WC"
Not if you take a length of copper tubing and put it in a fish tank to act as a heat exchanger(to keep the water in the water cooling system and the water in the fish tank separate).

I did it for many of the same reasons as other people have listed.
1. I can OC my 2.4GHz beyond 3.5GHz with somewhat ease.
2. Nobody I know has it. It's pretty original.
3. Quiet. (As long as you have quiet case fans)
4. Looks great and baffles people.

Cons:
1. Can be somewhat expensive for just cooling your pc.
2. The definite risk of thrashing your system. (however, as long as you use common sense and take some relative time in putting it together, you have nothing to worry about)
3. Unless you have a somewhat large case, I could see the footstep of the cooling system taking up a lot of space inside your case.
4. You have to be extra carefull when transporting your PC.

In my opinion though, if you look at the cons, those aren't really that bad, mainly focused around the use of some ole common sense.

Hey wait a minute, Legos and K-Nex are still the cool thing to goof wit! Some points: I am building WC for [a] relative quiet for overclocked cpu versus vacuum cleaner noise with HSF fun of modding that presents never-ending possibilities and [c] wife knows for sure now I am off deep end, which is very reassuring to me, somehow... weird I know. Plus, there are many clues out just this year that hint of oem experimentation with cooling ideas other that fan+air, and they point toward water, water, water.

I chose H2O for many reasons, not the least of which was sound. I also looked upon going H2O as an opportunity to learn new things about something that I already like

I went with watercooling for 2 reasons.
1. my temps were out the roof.
2. lower noise level

The thing that I really like about having a watercooled system is that it's unique.
Also once you get past the intial investment upgrading the system is about the same cost as a new heatsink/fan.

yeah thing is its expensive but its the upgrade that ive had the most satisfaction buying compaired to every single other component in my computer such as proccys, hd's and gfx cards which as soon as you spend hundreds on, go down in price a few weeks later, that ****es me off. watercooling dosent drop in price and holds its value quite well and it does pay off in the end as you dont have to keep buying new coolers for that new proccy.

Back