• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Tbird 900 bridges

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wolfman

Registered
All L1 are closed, chip is unlocked, If I set mother board jumper to 133 fsb it wont post even with with X 7 muliplier. I have a epox 8KTA+ with KT133 chipset. I have 2 kingston 256 sticks and 1 128 generic stick that has been to139. what do I need to? mother board bios settings?

This is an easy one to answer. As has been well documented in this forum and many others, the KT133 chipset was the first generation for the socket "A" motherboards. All early boards with this chipset are known to have issues with FSB's much above 107 / 110MHz.

The options are, either settle for something lower such as 110MHz or get a newer mother board with the KT133A chipset in which these issues have been addressed.

One note on the side, I've read of some people having success with cooling the northbridge chip, still it's been spotty at best.

I have had lots of luck with the KT133E chipset, got my Abit KT7E to run windows at 150 fsb on Duron 800 (150x7 = 1050). Runs beautifully.

Still would mean new mobo.

BTW, could you compare the PCB of KT7E to KT7A-RAIDs PCB? I'd like to know if there's anything else than the RAID-chip "missing"?

Here's the thing with this board in particular, and many of the KT133A boards in general (Abut & ASUS being the exception) ... since the FSB on the EPOX is set via a 100/133 jumper, and the multiplier is set in the BIOS, when your system powers up there's a period where the CPU is set to run @ 9 x 133 = <bust> ... even if you set the multiplier lower in the BIOS. Reason for this is because the BIOS is not setting the multiplier (lower) at the same time that the FSB is being set. I had this same problem w/my Tbird 850 - luckily, there's a solution! It involves modifying the L6 bridges ... check out this article on AnandTech, which talks about the problem & the solution...

I tried it on my 850, and it works like a charm - got it up to 1040Mhz, so far :)

wolfman (Apr 24, 2001 09:30 p.m.):
All L1 are closed, chip is unlocked, If I set mother board jumper to 133 fsb it wont post even with with X 7 muliplier. I have a epox 8KTA+ with KT133 chipset. I have 2 kingston 256 sticks and 1 128 generic stick that has been to139. what do I need to? mother board bios settings?

Back