• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Opinions on the bright future of halo multiplayer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EgoFumPapa

so the other day i was reading up on halo coming out on pc, and it looks like a good game, but seriously, who hasnt played halo yet? which got me to thinking that i might just get it for internet gaming which, ofcourse will rock. and this all leads to the question ive been meaning to ask, so what will prove to have the superior multiplayer support? Halo PC, or the much hyped Halo 2 on xbox? what will everyone be playing? since it would be cool to maybe start thinking about setting up some clans

never played halo. looks interesting though. i'll try it when it comes out on pc. consoles = crap.

i keep telling my friend id own him in halo w/ a keyboard and mouse, im not too coordinated with the controller cause i only played it a few times. he keeps sayin the game was made for a controller and not a kb/mouse and pc halo will suck. oh well we'll see :D

ive tried xbox tunnel and connect, and i usually run into a lot of problems with uber lag, and nobody takes you if youre by yourself, you need 3-4 people before the host doesnt kick you from the server. so ill just wait. halo 2 is supposed to be xbox live though, isnt it?

One opinion. Consoles can be fun but sometimes the controls can be a bit of a chore especially when your aiming. Most TV's only offer a max resolution of 800X600. I also think it's ironic because on the case it says "Only For XBOX" and it's said to be comming out on computer. We'll see how good it is.

Maxvla said:
never played halo. looks interesting though. i'll try it when it comes out on pc. consoles = crap.

i'm not that hyped about this really... i mean they released this on the box how long ago?!? and it's just now getting to be released. they had better made a lot of improvements to the gfx engine etc because i am not the only one that feels this way. multiplayer, i fell they are striving to make it as close to BF1942 as they can, seeing how popular it is (a cash cow, as EA too very well knows = lame expansions etc (we're going to see a lot of clones i bet)) so i'm not getting the feeling of anything new or interesting.

sorry to not be one going with the hopefull optimism as most of you, but i find with all the crap that gets cranked out by devs and pub co's i'm better off this way... better to prepare for the worst. ;)

mage_x said:
i keep telling my friend id own him in halo w/ a keyboard and mouse, im not too coordinated with the controller cause i only played it a few times. he keeps sayin the game was made for a controller and not a kb/mouse and pc halo will suck. oh well we'll see :D

Halo acutaully was being developed for PC way before it came out on XBox.

It was covered in the short lived Excite(correct name?) PC Game Magazine. The issue even showed live game PC demos 5 years ago!

SinsFeelNatural said:

It was covered in the short lived Excite(correct name?) PC Game Magazine. The issue even showed live game PC demos 5 years ago!

yep, your right, bungie was originally making it for PC them MS bought bungie and revamped the game for xbox and turned it into what it is now, there is actually a movie i have somewhere around here that shows part of a mission that was in the original one. it looked different kinda

I just played halo for the first time yesterday at a friends PC bang. and man are the controls annoying. I can't understand how anyone can do anything with the controls.

"whats the fire button?"
"right trigger button."

And do you normally move around that slowly? and the aiming is too twitchy. I had to adjust the sensitivity a few times, still couldn't get the hang of it.

I played with a friend one on one a few games and only got like 3 frags in an hour of gaming. I said the exact same thing, if i had a keyboard and mouse I would of owned him.

enough of my whining, i will buy this game for the pc.

It was done extremly well for the console. The controls are fantastic and very easy to use once you've played for a little while.

People who play with a keyboard and mouse for years are naturally going to have problems adjusting and hate it at first, but with a little experience it is very easy to take aim and fire. You have a lot more room to hit something to make up for the inaccuracy of a controller too.

That being said Halo for the PC has been worked over to the point that they did more work on the port then they did for the original game and it will be streamlined for a keyboard/mouse. Unless someone really stupid was in charge and said, "lets rework this thing and tweak it to perfection for the PC, but we will keep the controls and aiming system for the console."

And of course the online for the PC will be better then Live for H2. After all, what online console game has ever been better then the PC version...with the exception of Steel Battalion, which has no equal or equivlant on the PC.

SinsFeelNatural said:

I do believe Bungie was developing Halo for the Mac. (Believe it...) Then it was to be ported to PC. MS realizing the hype around this game, bought bungie, and aqquired the game. Finally 18 months later, its making its way onto ANOTHER Microsoft product!

Multiplayer will rock, just imagine all the mods that are possible...

BF1942 in the future, with purdy graphics, better sound, better story, single player, better physics, and better modability (forget the last one....)

EgoFumPapa said:
but seriously, who hasnt played halo yet?

* Oni puts up his hand

I'd rather be dead than buy an Xbox just to play Halo. I've been waiting for it on PC ever since Bungie first announced it (before they were swallowed up by Microsoft).

Bungie had been realesing their games for PC and Mac at the same time, and I assume Halo would have been no different.

God I wish they would put Halo on bungie.net, with the ranking system they had on myth:tfl/myth2.

SinsFeelNatural said:
Does anyone know where to download the Halo Video from the now defunct Excite magazine? I have searched to the end of google with no luck!

you mean the one for the original halo for PC? i think that is on one of the exhibition discs (number 2 i believe) i'll check tommorow when im not so tired

I'm very excited about Halo for PC. I played Xbox Halo every way possible and I was addicted to the multiplayer for the longest time. That being said, PC controls will take a bit of adjustment for those of us who have played the console version, but as long as you've played PC first-person shooters before, you'll be fine. From the screenshots I've seen, the graphics are going to be fantastic. They were on the Xbox version and that was on plain old television. The multiplayer should be great too because you don't have to worry about your system processing for other players... whenever I would system link with another console and get 8 player games going, the console would lag occasionally. No split screen is going to be nice. :)

Halo 2 looks nice as well. I'm not so sure about the online play, as I'm not willing at this point to shell out money to play on Xbox Live. I will admit that I haven't seen enough screenshots to tell if it's just Halo with more levels and more weapons, though.

Back