• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

after reading the amd dually article

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sifu quoc

here is my plan...

- 2 xp1800+ i bought 4 of them for 185, dltc3
- panaflo fans
- got the suggested case
- as3
- the suggested heatsinks

i still need the following:

- best bang for the buck video card
- good ram to oc with... 512 mb preferred
- good quiet ps, preferabbly cheap

eventually get
- dvd/cdr drive
- 133 raid controller
- another 80 gig hd to match my maxtor

please give me suggestions... thank you

ps, its been a while since ive been here.... got bored, so decided to build another computer....

Best video card I can think of is a ATI 9600 or 9500, DX9 compatibility plus videosoap and fullstream (makes video look better). Plus they go for like $120. PS wise I like the Enermax EG465P-VE FC, I use one in my dual athlon and another in a dual p3 coppermine system (I didn't know you can use a cheapo with dual p3).

i would get the radeon 8500le if you are on a tight budget...for $50-70 with the ability to run dual displays and 3d games well...

for a little more you can get the ti4200 for about 100-120 bucks...and that will increase performance by 30-50%

or the 9500, 9700 radeon if you have a little more money

then i would get the fortron 530 watt powersupply for $75 from newegg.com...or the true power 480, or 550 antec's from directron.com...for $85-110...

any of those should be more than adequate...

also...you'll need a dual amd board (MSI K7D for $180 at newegg)...and with any dual amd board you can't really overclock past 150-160mhz fsb...due to pci divider limitations on the hard drives (only 1/4 dividers)....

thus, you really only need pc2700 RAM...you can get cas 2 kingston pc2700 hyperX or if you ever plan on getting more than 1gb of RAM then you must use registered memory...for that you can get samsumg pc2700....$75-110 for 512mb

Last edited:
you should be able to use 1gb sticks so you could go to 2gb before needing registered ram.

you should be able to use 1gb sticks so you could go to 2gb before needing registered ram.

oh yeah...good point...i thought he was going for 512mb sticks...

also, as cmcquistion always points out the pc2700 registered stuff might be able to work with the opterons that will require registered RAM...

also, how is your duallie coming Maxvla?

dustybyrd said:

oh yeah...good point...i thought he was going for 512mb sticks...

also, as cmcquistion always points out the pc2700 registered stuff might be able to work with the opterons that will require registered RAM...

also, how is your duallie coming Maxvla?
waiting on money for case, psu, hard drive. i haven't bought anything recently for it cause i have rent due in a few days. i should have it done in less than a month.

my chips didnt' seem to mod right so i've got someone who is going to do them for me. :)

The board makes a big difference here. Did you get the MSI K7D master? If so, for memory, any old pc2700 will go faster than the board can hope to go.
If you got a board that needs ECC memory, samsung, Kingston, and Crucial make it.

As far as a power supply, I would go with a fortron, sparkle, or enlight.

thank you for all the suggestions... i ordered the MSI K7D master with lan already....

i think i'll get the radeon 8500, cuz i dont play games anyways...

and for ps, i was thinking of grabbing a generic 550W one... cuz they are about $30

i guess i can get any stick of pc2700 then?? cuz the board wont go above 150-160....

also doing more research...

thankyou for your suggessions

so what is the highest multiplier the 1800+ can go?

sifu quoc said:
thank you for all the suggestions... i ordered the MSI K7D master with lan already....

and for ps, i was thinking of grabbing a generic 550W one... cuz they are about $30

i guess i can get any stick of pc2700 then?? cuz the board wont go above 150-160....

T-bred XP1800's are unlocked up to 12.5 by default. Of course, you can blow bridges or do the pin mod to get higher multipliers.

If you use unbuffered DDR, you can only use up to two sticks. If you want to use more than two sticks, then you have to use all Registered RAM.

The Radeon 8500 is a great bang-for-the-buck video card. It will serve you well.

my only change would be to NOT get the generic 550watt power supply...

cuz if it blows...you could lose quite an investment...

$45 more dollars will serve you very well in this case

you might be ok with the generic 550...but then again you might not...just not worth it IMO

any stick of pc2700 should be fine for 150mhz max on that K7D...the K7D can't do more than that...but that's about all you can ask from this chipset anyway for hard drive stability

and on the multiplier thing...i would think that the chip should be able to take the max multiplier than it can run stably (there is no limit on the 1800's multiplier that i'm aware of)...

however, you will have to do some kind of CPU or pin mod in the sockets of the motherboard for higher multipliers...guides here:

http://www.ocinside.de/index_e.html?/html/workshop/socketa/xp_painting.html

also, most likely 2+ghz will require 1.65 volts...1.8-2ghz would require about 1.6volts...

and 2.1-2.3 will likely require 1.75 volts

and over 2.3 will likely require 1.85 volts...

all these voltage increases require good cooling with sk7's and 80mm panaflos or something similar...

The K7D can go up to 12.5X, just using the BIOS, no mods to the chips or board, when using unlocked chips.

It is the only dual AMD board that allows you to change the multiplier.

The K7D can go up to 12.5X, just using the BIOS, no mods to the chips or board, when using unlocked chips.

It is the only dual AMD board that allows you to change the multiplier.

very true...i just figured he would probably want to go above 150*12.5 or 1.875ghz...because 14*150 should be no problem with a slight voltage increase...

on the other hand...if he doesn't want to do any modding...or has a hot room...well then the 1.875ghz could be very nice...

If you're worried about blowing or cutting bridges get Upgradeware's XP-TMC add on. You can change multipliers easily. I just got em and they work. got mine from www.strattoncomputer.com. I'm now running 14X and i didn't cut,blow, or mod pins. I should probably write up a small review of them. It was easy.

yeah...i guess it depends on whether you want to do the pin-mod yourself or have it done for you...

$30-40 isn't that much to have it done for you...

it took me about an 30 minutes to make the wires required for the pin mod, put them in following the ocinside.com guide, put the heatsinks back on, and test the system...

then, since my dual board didn't support voltage increases on both cpus...i had to do an additional pin mod to increase the voltage to 1.65 from 1.6....then it was stable...

the whole thing took about an hour, and it was a little tedious, but it was a very satisfying, if nerve-wracking process.

one disadvantage though, is if i ever want to change the voltage or multiplier again...it will require another hour of work...where as the adaptor would be great for rapid tweaking

I just posted a tiny review of it in the AMD cpu section of the forums with pics. They seem to work good for me. I'm to shaky to try and do the wire tricks so this was a great thing for me. You would prolly still need to do a wire trick for volt modding if the MoBo doesn't suppoert it but it would definetly cut down on the time spent doing it.

dustybyrd said:
it took me about an 30 minutes to make the wires required for the pin mod, put them in following the ocinside.com guide, put the heatsinks back on, and test the system...

then, since my dual board didn't support voltage increases on both cpus...i had to do an additional pin mod to increase the voltage to 1.65 from 1.6....then it was stable...

You can use the same conductive ink that you use for the L5 mod to connect the pins.

Aslo, that voltage issue, where only one processor's voltage is not raised, only occurs on the Asus A7M266-D.

You can use the same conductive ink that you use for the L5 mod to connect the pins.

i didn't actually do the l5 mod myself...i bought the chips premodded for a great deal...therefore i didn't have any conductive ink for the multiplier mod...

but also i would prefer to do the pin mod because it's easier to reverse for changing purposes or for selling...

dustybyrd said:

one disadvantage though, is if i ever want to change the voltage or multiplier again...it will require another hour of work...where as the adaptor would be great for rapid tweaking

With the adapter, you still have to remove the heatsink and CPU, to tweak it. The tweaky-thingies are on the bottom of it.

thank you all for the replies...

i will keep you posted when i finish...

am thinking about building a few single processor systems too, since i picked up 4 of the 1800+, hehe

"overclocking is an addiction..." i saw that somewhere.... and it is sooo true...

Back