• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Highly optimised Assmbly code... ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
If your processor isn't 100% stable, then it's highly likely that the assembly code will cause problems, so beware of that.
It is worth it to turn it on if your machine is stable.

Thanks mates. Right now I have it disabled can I turn it on in the middle of folding ?

Another thing is how long does it take to complete one WU ??
I've been running mine for like 16 hours and I'm at 50% ( 250/500 )

Somewhere I read that PIII 400MHz can finish WU in 24 hours. I recon my 3.4 GHz should do it faster :(

Just wanting to help as much as I can.

Thank you for your time.

Melhisedek said:
Thanks mates. Right now I have it disabled can I turn it on in the middle of folding ?

Another thing is how long does it take to complete one WU ??
I've been running mine for like 16 hours and I'm at 50% ( 250/500 )

Somewhere I read that PIII 400MHz can finish WU in 24 hours. I recon my 3.4 GHz should do it faster :(

Just wanting to help as much as I can.

Thank you for your time.
It depends on the protein you are folding. There are different point values for each according to how long it takes to complete.

I don't understand the 50% figure you gave as there is no 500 frame work unit that I'm aware of.

There are two different types of work units. Tinker core and Gromacs core. Tinkers can be obtained just by basic installation and running of the program: however, Gromacs are advanced and require that you add the argument -advmethods to the start icon on your desktop by right clicking on it and adding it to the end of the folding statement at the top of the box. Make sure there is a space between the path and the argument.

Gromacs are faster to process than Tinkers and have more point value. You can fold Gromacs without optimization on any machine of substantial speed. If you are overclocked you need to realize that there is a big heat generation when you fold Gromacs so you must have good cooling. Also your overclocks stability may be compromised which will cause lockups, errors in the computation of the wu, or early exit (Special Exit) due to the fact that the program checks itself. Also if your computer shuts down for any reason before completing an unsaved Wu it will restart at the begining.

If you want to fold Gromacs at the fastest level add the argument -forceasm which turns on the highest level of optimizations. You might find it necessary to turn down your overclock to successfully operate at this level. The choice is yours.

If you do decide to fold Grmacs at the highest level be sure you are running the Beta 3.25 client as those below limit your access to the highest optimization.

You can stop the program and enable the optimizations at any time during the process of a work unit, though if I were you I'd complete the present one before altering due to the fact that you don't know how the system will react. As stated above if it boinks you'll have to start over.

Thanks mate...
Problem is that all this stuff is way over my league :(
I just went to their download page and downloaded program 3.24 one IIRC.
It is the graphical one. I tried to follow instructions on team32 page as good as I could.

When I installed and run program it did some updating and then started to run. When I minimise fold window and put mouse over red thingie in systray it only showed 250/500.
Also when I open the window under the protein thingie it shows halv circle and 50% and it shows this 250/500 as well...

My o/c is not worlds most stable I did notice ( it froze my rig a few times and every time upon reboot program would just resume where it was )so I lowered my FSB a notch and let it run ( I'm at work now ).

As I stated earlier this is way over my league so what should you guys recommend me to do and to run ??? What would be best ofr the team ?

I know you guys are busy and I wouldn't like to bore you to death with my newbish Qs so that's why I used graphical version.

If you need any further info feel free to ask I would be more than happy to answer!

Thank you for your time!

500 frames is a Gromac, there's also 2500 frame gromacs. Your rig is taking way to long, might be due to the optimized code being off. I would start over as my main rig can do a Gromac in 12 - 16 hours depending on which one I get.

Melhisedek said:

I know you guys are busy and I wouldn't like to bore you to death with my newbish Qs so that's why I used graphical version.

I ALWAYS have time to answer questions from our new members and so do many other folders. :D So never be afraid to ask.

If you are running the graphical client without the -advmethods and -forceasm flags I would stop folding, uninstall it, and do this:

Go here and get the One-Click:

http://www.justa-larrkin.com/folding/One-Clickv1.7.zip

1. Unzip it to a floppy (or a folder, or your desktop)

2. EDIT THE CLIENT.CFG with your username

3. click the "Setup.msi" to install

4. reboot.

*poof* You're folding all stealthy like with the beta client and the gromac flags installed.

This gives you the console client installed as a service with the -advmethods and -forceasm flags. I bet that with all of this done your times will be cut in half.

If you have any questions, ask here or PM me.

Wedo

And to edit the client.cfg, just double click it and then it should ask what you want to open it with...say notepad, and then where the option says uername= put in whatever you want to fold for....For_Those_We_Lost makes you fold faster ;) j/k

Fold and Frag on
Brian

Hi mates! First I would like to thank you for your understanding and willingnes to help. Very rare this days :(

Anyway I have 2 bad news :( First I didn't get permission to install F@H on my PC at work =(

Second is even worse... As soon as Wedo recommended it I downloaded "OneClick" thingie and isntalled it on my rig. Previosly I uniinstalled the old Graphical version. I changed user name from One_Click to Melhisedek saved and than installed it... I rebooted and everything is running fine ( I can see ~50% usage at all times in Task Manager ) But I don't get any WUs done :( Accordingly to stats page at Stanford I'm still at 2 WUs I submited with graphical version...

That's why I didn't like text version from the beginning I can't see what I'm doing :(

Any idea what is happening. Rig has been on for at least 30 hr straight. Thank you for your time!

50% usage all the time? shouldnt it be 100%? or does the HT only show as 50% usage as well?

If u are wondering about ur stats etc download em3 (electron microscope 3) We all use it to see progress and stats.

Hi there again... I installed the em3 and played around a bit with settings... Thing is that I find out that somehow One-click thingie ain't working :(
I din't fold for team32 and I din't have any nickname...
I'm folding all the time and according to em3 it should take aprx 9h for my rig to complete a WU. But I would really like to fold for you guys!
Any ideas anyone ?

I unistalled it and installed it again but no help. It just went to its previos settings like it has some keys in registry...

I changed username in client.cfg and saved it I'm sure of it... 2 times.

Thank you for your time!

Back