• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I'm not sure that.......

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

samkhadra

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before, but I found out something, when I was trying to overclock my cpu, i was getting bored of it not getting up to 1350MHz, and I was think it was the heat, so i put my hand infront of the fan, (My PC was on and I was in the BIOS settings where you can see the temperature of the cpu and how fast the fan is spinning etc.) to see if the heat coming from it was hot, and all of the suddenly it went from 4112 straight to 4986 I couldn't belive it, I mean for a fan that was so crap and now it was going much faster than usual. So I started to think how could I get it stay at this speed without me putting my hand infront of it. (My hand wasn't fully covering it it was about 2-3cm away from it.) So I decided to cut a piece of paper that was just like about 1/2 cm smaller than the edge of the fans' exact size got some black tape stuck it to one side of the paper and stuck that on the side of the fan. Now i was thinking that I can't leave it like that because it would get sucked into the fan. So I got some more black tape and then attached the paper to a set of wires that were there and BAM, it worked. Now its constant at the speed shown in my sig.

If you find what I said kinda of confusing I'm gonna try and get a diagram up soon.

For those who understood that please reply back with some commments or questions.

Well, what you are doing is blocking some of the air going into the fan. Air will still be sucked into the sides, but not as much air will go down the middle. I don't think this would harm the fan, but I wouldn't have guessed that it would improve temperatures.

You are saying it did improve temps?

Well all I got was that it improved RPM. I mean if you are making the fan constantly run at a higher RPM than intended, I would assume it could possibly burn-out sooner

Yea it improved temps because, since i increased my cpu vcore to 1.8 it got real hot quick like about 57-59 Degrees, but now it's at 49-51 Degrees. Neco if your sure that it will burn out I might stop it but only if your sure! I've dun the diagram but Im not sure how to post it up?

*EDIT* I posted the picture up on my website go to the link below.

CLICK HERE

Last edited:
This isn't increasing the airfow of the fan, only the speed and noise. The restriction of the paper is going to slow down the airflow.

Thanks, for the advice. It's true I just checked my cpu temperature and well lets say it was hotter than usual, wen I last checked with my invention it wasn't that hot but I just checked it and it was real hot! So I took it of now!

What youre doing by restricting the airflow is creating a negative pressure zone within the fan. This area will have less actual molecules of "air" than the rest of your case. Because of this, there is less resistance placed on your fan blades, which is why it spins faster. Thats my take on it.

Edit: I doubt this could improve your temps becauses I would guess that it signifficantly lowers the number of CFM that your fan puts out, even at that higher speed.

If you look at a blade on a fan, you'll see that it is shaped like a wing. When you block the air going through the fan, it makes the blades stall out, and then it isn't pumping air through the fan.

Have you ever been vacuuming the floor, and something blocks the vacuum pipe, the motor goes FASTER, not slower. Same principle.

Yes, I used to build airplanes, and was studying areonautical engineering.

steve

Back