• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pelt or water?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Fallen Phoenix

I've been reading pretty much everything I can about watercooling since this will probably be my next big mod. I'd like a quiet computer for college when it's going to be right next to my bed running 24/7. What I'd like to know is, would it be a good idea to run a peltier setup on a computer that won't be pushing the limit of overclocking?

I don't know much about pelts yet (any links would be great:cool:) but I'm learning. Another thing to think about is I'd like to cool the GPU on a planned 9800np. If I go straight watercooling I'd run a parallel setup because I've heard the 9800 runs hot.

I won't be pushing it to the limit but I think it would be trick to have a quiet pelt system that could be "turned up higher" if I decide to overclock more. So which would be better for my use? A watercooled pelt or just straight watercooling?

i thought it'd be cool to run a pelt system, too. but it does have some downfalls.

you have to coat your MB for condensation (the whole point is that one side of the pelt is hot as balls, the other is really cold)...also, if you're not gonna OC, then why go to all the trouble ($150+) to get lower temps? they also get REALLY hot, so if you don't cool them properly, they'll increase the ambient temp in your case, which may seem neglible since you're cooling your cpu well, but it'll drop the efficiency of your radiator.

plus, who needs MORE water in their case than with watercooling? i mean if you run a pelt, you're almost guaranteed to get condensation (and this isnt comparable to water running through tubes, it is ON your MB), and i'd rather deal with one water source not leaking than two, one of which is guaranteed to screw something up if i dont seal my whole MB with silicone

-peter

TECs(Peltiers) and silence usually don't mix, especially when it comes to aircooled TECs. TECs in combo with water could be had at much lower noise, but it probably won't be quiet.

I would advise for watercooling alone, for the quietness.

Due to the TECs inefficiency(they generate a ton of extra heat) they do require really good watercooling to preform well. That equals alot of air around big radiator(s). Trying to combine silence with high performing TECs would take a substacially big RAD with a slow moving fan(s).
So consider huge rad + slow fan for a TEC setup and also, can you stand the heat?? It will generate roughly 200+ W of extra heat in your room.

What are you using this computer for? MS Word and Outlook Express doesn't require a peltier setup you know.

If you are gaming with it then I would reccomend a water cooled system with a submersible pump. Cathar makes a great new block just search for cathar in the forum. go to home depot get some tubes. Get a chevy heatercore mount 1/2" or 3/4" fittings. Umm theres a guide somewhere in the forums on DIY watercooling, just look around for more details.

It's mainly for gaming and folding at night. I was hoping there would be a way to "turn down" a pelt system so it wouldn't damage the chip but still get below ambient. I think I'll do a parallel water setup first and maybe a pelt later on if I plan to overclock it to the edge. About what would it cost to make a good setup cooling both the GPU and the CPU? Also, are there fittings for silicone tubing that would be open when plugged together and closed when taken apart? That's a bit vague but I think it got the meaning across.

Back